Fowl pox

Chicksforchicks

Hatching
Feb 8, 2021
I got two sweet girls from a “reputable” breeder and I’ve never purchased from anyone before. One had coccidiosis and now one with fowl pox. I have isolated the one with fowl pox but in another group a lady told me I had to get the scabs off immediately so I rushed and that now I see that is exactly what NOT to do. My girl is 12 weeks old and so sweet and I don’t want to lose her. Any suggestions on treatment now that I picked the scabs off her beak and eye?

Attachments

• 55636A56-287E-4157-9E90-A2C4F73D0046.jpeg
    55636A56-287E-4157-9E90-A2C4F73D0046.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 19
I do not know what to do now. Hopefully others have advice.
Dry fowl pox needs to run its course. How long has she had the dry fowl pox?
Iodine can help dry up fowl pox scabs but I would be careful around eyes.
Welcome to BYC!!

Don’t blame the breeder - cocciadosis is everywhere and practically unavoidable and the fowl pox could have also come from anywhere. The pox will run its course, and cocci clears up easily with Corid. They will be fine.

Never pick off fowl pox scabs. They are infective to other birds and if swallowed, they can cause wet pox. Birds will also pick at bloody sores and sores can get bacterial infections on top of the fowl pox virus. The lady who told you to pick off the scabs doesnt know what she's talking about. I've dealt with fowl pox and it goes away on it's own after it slowly passes through a flock. It can take several weeks to over a month to disappear.

Apply neosporin ointment around the eye to prevent bacterial infections, if some of the ointment gets in her eye, no problem. You dont want iodine anywhere near the eyes.

The lesion on the corner of her mouth is a concern. Open her mouth and look for lesion(s) inside her mouth and smell them. Then let us know if there's a foul odor.
IF lesions are NOT present inside her mouth and there is NO foul odor, apply iodine to the scab. The iodine will shrink the scab.
If there ARE lesions inside the mouth without a foul odor, use q-tips dipped in iodine and swab the lesions in order to shrink them. The lesions can spread into the throat and cause blockages and your hen can starve to death. If this is the case, I recommend giving her Poultry Nutri Drench, one drop twice a day orally for no more than 7 days straight and continue swabbing the lesions with iodine.

IF there IS a foul odor, it's canker. Treatments are either metronidazole or acidified copper sulfate. Canker is more serious than fowl pox. Just let us know if there's a foul odor in her mouth and we'll go from there.

BTW: If the breeder didnt voluntarily tell you that there were issues with her birds, dont trust breeders like that. It's best to order chicks from a reputable hatchery and raise them yourself.

I picked off all the scabs right away when the lady told me to. Now what do I do? Will it hurt her to put iodine on open sore? I have her isolated(I’m sure it’s too late) and threw scabs away. I don’t smell an odor but sort of looks like there may be lesion in her mouth. She’s eating and drinking great but trying to scratch or rub her eye and mouth.

I picked off all the scabs right away when the lady told me to. Now what do I do? Will it hurt her to put iodine on open sore? I have her isolated(I’m sure it’s too late) and threw scabs away. I don’t smell an odor but sort of looks like there may be lesion in her mouth. She’s eating and drinking great but trying to scratch or rub her eye and mouth.
Is it pretty much guarantee that those she’s been with will get it?

I am truly sorry about the situation. Have they improved after the infection? Wet pox can be serious if untreated. I lost a squab to it yesterday. Now I'm worried my rooster maybe exposed. Not sure if I should vaccinate him already.

Have you vaccinated your other birds after the episode?

Back
Top Bottom