Fowl pox

WylieCoyote

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Philippines
Hello all, I have a question which has to do our young chicks. I am not definitely sure if this what they have, but looking at some photos I think they have fowl pox. I have read that there no cure, only some remedies. Any way I am looking for some suggestion on what I can do to help the chicks and try to prevent anymore occurrences from happening. Already lost quite few chicks. And expect to lose some more before. These are natives Philippines chicken. The adults are fine that we have. Thanks for any suggestion.

There around two months old maybe three. I don't have a pic, but can get one. Most of them all have lesion or a growth around their eyes and beak.
Here a photo of one of our chicks. This one both eyes are closed. They have been eating and drinking. Have another the same way. And one more with just one eye closed. It helps the other find the food and they know where the water is at. They are separated from the rest, but the others in are other coop some have the lesion or growth.

Attachments

• 174482286_472872503765479_7892428210515279049_n.jpg
    174482286_472872503765479_7892428210515279049_n.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 25
Fowl pox is mostly caused by mosquitos. The disease will slowly pass through your flock. Since it's a virus, there arnt any treatments. Once the disease passes, your birds will be immune to that particular strain. It can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the disease to run its course.

Bacterial infections can be caused by birds scratching lesions, especially around the eyes. You can put an antibiotic ointment in the eyes, such as terramycin eye ointment, neosporin ointment, or triple antibiotic ointment as needed until the eyes are healed. Apply just a little ointment in each eye.

You can also put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs in order to shrink them since they are very infective. Avoid the eyes at all costs if you use iodine or black shoe polish.
I recommend adding electrolytes or probiotics to their water or feed to help build up their immune system.

Fowl pox is mostly caused by mosquitos. The disease will slowly pass through your flock. Since it's a virus, there arnt any treatments. Once the disease passes, your birds will be immune to that particular strain. It can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the disease to run its course.

Bacterial infections can be caused by birds scratching lesions, especially around the eyes. You can put an antibiotic ointment in the eyes, such as terramycin eye ointment, neosporin ointment, or triple antibiotic ointment as needed until the eyes are healed. Apply just a little ointment in each eye.

You can also put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs in order to shrink them since they are very infective. Avoid the eyes at all costs if you use iodine or black shoe polish.
I recommend adding electrolytes or probiotics to their water or feed to help build up their immune system.
OK, thanks. Had 5 that died today, I expect at least two or maybe three more is expected to go as well, since they are not eating much.

Birds dont normally die from dry fowl pox. It's possible they might have wet pox which can cause death by either suffocation or starvation. You can see lesions inside the mouth and rear of the mouth where the esophagus and tracheas are located.
Also, smell the breath of an infected bird and let us know if there is a foul odor. If so, it might not be fowl pox at all. It could possibly be canker.

Make sure to hand feed any birds with lesions around the eyes, since they can’t see to get food and water. Are you using the Terramycin eye ointment?

Make sure to hand feed any birds with lesions around the eyes, since they can’t see to get food and water. Are you using the Terramycin eye ointment?
We don't have the Terramycin ointment. Had two chicks that could not see, they were eating because of another chick with them was eating. But one of them died today. So something else is affecting the chick other than not being able to see. It sad, because we had a total of 24 chicks only eight left now. Any way thanks for your help.

Birds dont normally die from dry fowl pox. It's possible they might have wet pox which can cause death by either suffocation or starvation. You can see lesions inside the mouth and rear of the mouth where the esophagus and tracheas are located.
Also, smell the breath of an infected bird and let us know if there is a foul odor. If so, it might not be fowl pox at all. It could possibly be canker.
Not sure if it possible that they can both the dry and wet pox. My wife think it something else and believes that weather caused them to get sick. Were in the tropics here, so the temperature is pretty much the same all year round. I will check the breathe of one or two see what I find. Had two more die today. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom