Fowl Pox

Rebecca13

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
I came back from a 2 week holiday to one of my ladies looking like this. I think it's fowl pox but I wanted to get second opinions. A few others inthr flock have these spots but not as bad. Everyone is eating and is active, the only change is this one is molting and another lady is molting so bad she has bald spots and screams like we are trying to kill her when we pick her up. So we stopped touching her, I'm sure those pin feathers are sensitive.

Any suggestions on how to keep them comfortable would be so awesome. I've been internet searching and will continue to do more when I'm out of work.

Attachments

• 20211022_071413_capture.jpg
    20211022_071413_capture.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211022_071410_capture.jpg
    20211022_071410_capture.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Yes, I agree that you are dealing with fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm weather. It is best not to disturb the scabs, and most grown chickens will recover in a month. The shed scabs can remain infectious later on. There is a wet form of fowl pox that causes yellow plaques inside the beak and throat that is more serious, but most chickens only get the dry form. If scabs occur near eyes and the eyes become affected, then you can use Terramycin or Neosporin in the eyes twice a day. Otherwise, there is no treatment required. In some areas where pox is very bad, there is a vaccine available to give to chickens not yet exposed.

Back
Top Bottom