fowl pox

fallchick57

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 17, 2011
My poor babies--- would someone mind looking at awful photos?---I'm thinking it's fowl pox,,I have separated 4 from the rest of family- they're all mature males except the grey slate who was born in early spring.Unfortunately, my husband culled the one who was most effected yesterday--- he thought it was neurological infection, because he couldn't see....... I can understand. I have gotten the yellow off of the royal palm's eye, and neosporaned everything,, cleaned watercontainers out with bleach and added tetracycline to waters. ..... Just making sure I am on the right track. Poor babies--especially so close the thanksgiving. We had a warm spell recently, saw alot of bees around. Guessing the mosquitos were around too. Thanks for looking it''s so awfull.

Just tried to email attachment and can't... Thanks anyways.

My poor babies--- would someone mind looking at awful photos?---I'm thinking it's fowl pox,,I have separated 4 from the rest of family- they're all mature males except the grey slate who was born in early spring.Unfortunately, my husband culled the one who was most effected yesterday--- he thought it was neurological infection, because he couldn't see....... I can understand. I have gotten the yellow off of the royal palm's eye, and neosporaned everything,, cleaned watercontainers out with bleach and added tetracycline to waters. ..... Just making sure I am on the right track. Poor babies--especially so close the thanksgiving. We had a warm spell recently, saw alot of bees around. Guessing the mosquitos were around too. Thanks for looking it''s so awfull.

Just tried to email attachment and can't... Thanks anyways.
you will have to make between 10 and 25 posts before you can post pictures (don't remember which) post a couple of replies and then repost the pictures. nothing fancy, just post. we had a problem earlier this year. the tetracycline will probably do nothing, and I try to avoid antibiotics unless you REALLY need them. do you know if it is dry or wet pox? we used betadine which seemed to help dry out the lesions quickly. pox is a slow mover in a flock, and not everyone will get it. the state vet reccomended the vaccination for pox this year.

RobertH

Not sure without seeing pics and you're not able to post pics. If it's Dry Pox, it will have to run it's course. If the dry pox turns to wet pox, then you have a problem on your hands then. :(

We're inMiddle Tennessee-from what I've read- humid climates are bad for it. -- my daughter in law said to vaccinate the rest of them. Do you think that's a good idea.?

thanks for that info. I'll send some now... one of the females has a couple spots today,,,, seems to be spreading fast.

If you can explain more about what it look like, maybe we could be of more help. Is it scabbing? Is there swelling?, Are there any puss or oozing, or discharge and what color?

My turkeys had the pox this year. For mine it was large black bumps on thier faces. Looked awful, but after time it did go away. It looks much worse than it is. I bought a vacine, but mine already had it and even after using it another turkey still got it. I was told it was just a rough year and lots of chickens and turkeys got the pox from flies I think. The lack of winter last year did not kill off the bug population.

Back
Top Bottom