Fowl pox =(

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
I'm pretty sure my small backyard flock has fowl pox :'( what should I do and do I need to be worried? I don't really know anything about it and this is my first flock so I'm a bit of a newbie and still learning. Amy help is greatly appreciated!

Keep an eye out for secondary infections in the eyes and check inside the mouth for signs of pus, that's wet pox.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I've been reading the learning center post about avian pox and how to treat it. I'm pretty sure a fair number of my flock has this...the pix are identical. Some have secondary bronchial infections as well. I'm getting the Tylan in today for treating that. My question is one of source. There seems to be concensus that the pox originates from mosquitos. I live in SoCal (around no water bodies); its fall and there isn't much rain this time of year. I haven't seen mosquitos in many months and they are usually very few when we do see them. Is there another avenue for transmission? Can they catch the pox from crows or other birds?

Last edited:
That is a good question. Since mosquitoes give it to the chickens, and the chickens spread it to one another, I suppose they could get it from wild birds if there was close enough contact. Can you post a picture of one of your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom