Fowlpox or something else? New waterer?

bbycarrot

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Northeast Texas
Hi, all!

Today I noticed my barred rock had a weird wart looking thing on her wattle. My husband and I set her down to get a phone to take a picture and within a few minutes the dark scab had already fallen or been pecked off. I attached a photo of what it looks like. We put some iodine on it. My husband also noticed white bumps on her comb and white bumps on our buff orpington’s comb and wattle as well, they look like little blisters or pimples. Attached is a photo of that as well.

We think it is Fowlpox because the mosquitos are horrendous in our yard, but other opinions on it and suggestions for helping get them better are appreciated. We cleaned out their waterer and gave them fresh water in addition to cleaning out their coop, but it wasn’t really dirty. I’m just trying to keep things clean for my poor ladies. Additionnally, does anyone have any good waterers they recommend? I was thinking of getting them the kind with the nipples so the water doesn’t dirty as fast. Again, any guidance would be great and thank you!

Attachments

• 823193B1-CF54-4932-BFD6-2EB09FB9EBF8.jpeg
    823193B1-CF54-4932-BFD6-2EB09FB9EBF8.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 78
  • B6F223F1-079A-41DD-96D6-6FBB2209552D.jpeg
    B6F223F1-079A-41DD-96D6-6FBB2209552D.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi, all!

Today I noticed my barred rock had a weird wart looking thing on her wattle. My husband and I set her down to get a phone to take a picture and within a few minutes the dark scab had already fallen or been pecked off. I attached a photo of what it looks like. We put some iodine on it. My husband also noticed white bumps on her comb and white bumps on our buff orpington’s comb and wattle as well, they look like little blisters or pimples. Attached is a photo of that as well.

We think it is Fowlpox because the mosquitos are horrendous in our yard, but other opinions on it and suggestions for helping get them better are appreciated. We cleaned out their waterer and gave them fresh water in addition to cleaning out their coop, but it wasn’t really dirty. I’m just trying to keep things clean for my poor ladies. Additionnally, does anyone have any good waterers they recommend? I was thinking of getting them the kind with the nipples so the water doesn’t dirty as fast. Again, any guidance would be great and thank you!
Hi there! That looks like the early stages of Dry Fowl Pox. There are two types of Fowl Pox, Wet and Dry. Wet pox infects the mucous membranes. With wet pox, the early stage symptoms are pale spots on the comb and pale marks inside the mouth. Thankfully, wet pox is less common than dry pox. Dry Pox are scabs that grow on the comb and wattles and causes irritation. They usually start out as white spots, like the one on your hen's comb, and then begin to turn black or brown. Dry Pox usually goes away on its own overtime, but you can rub tomato juice on the scabs to help heal them faster. It's good that you caught it early! There is no professional treatment for Fowl Pox but here are some things you can do for your flock:
  • Applications of a topical antiseptic (e.g. Betadine) or tomato and lime juice can be used directly on the pox to heal the sores on his comb.
  • Warm saline solution can soften mouth sores, which you would find with wet pox (yellow cheesy stuff), so you can remove them to enable eating.
  • Adding a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon of water will help sanitize shared water sources within your flock.
  • Administer tetracycline antibiotics for three days to the infected birds to help keep secondary infections at bay
  • Add vitamin supplements to the rest of your flock's drinking water to boost their immunity
  • Dilute iodine solution in water and use it to clean the scabs
  • Mix the sulfur powder in an ointment or petroleum jelly like Vaseline and apply it to the comb scabs to soften them
  • Sanitize the drinking water by adding a diluted iodine solution to it (1% per gallon of water) until the outbreak subsides
  • Don’t change their usual diet as this may shock their digestive system and make them more susceptible to opportunistic infections
You might give your flock vitamins to strengthen their immune system.
Some of the common vitamins given include Vitamin E, Vitamin D and Vitamin A. These oil vitamins will work best when you give it to them in liquid form. There are also Fowl Pox vaccinations available. Once a chicken gets Fowl Pox, they cannot get it again and your flock will be immune to the disease.

Hi there! That looks like the early stages of Dry Fowl Pox. There are two types of Fowl Pox, Wet and Dry. Wet pox infects the mucous membranes. With wet pox, the early stage symptoms are pale spots on the comb and pale marks inside the mouth. Thankfully, wet pox is less common than dry pox. Dry Pox are scabs that grow on the comb and wattles and causes irritation. They usually start out as white spots, like the one on your hen's comb, and then begin to turn black or brown. Dry Pox usually goes away on its own overtime, but you can rub tomato juice on the scabs to help heal them faster. It's good that you caught it early! There is no professional treatment for Fowl Pox but here are some things you can do for your flock:
  • Applications of a topical antiseptic (e.g. Betadine) or tomato and lime juice can be used directly on the pox to heal the sores on his comb.
  • Warm saline solution can soften mouth sores, which you would find with wet pox (yellow cheesy stuff), so you can remove them to enable eating.
  • Adding a tablespoon of vinegar per gallon of water will help sanitize shared water sources within your flock.
  • Administer tetracycline antibiotics for three days to the infected birds to help keep secondary infections at bay
  • Add vitamin supplements to the rest of your flock's drinking water to boost their immunity
  • Dilute iodine solution in water and use it to clean the scabs
  • Mix the sulfur powder in an ointment or petroleum jelly like Vaseline and apply it to the comb scabs to soften them
  • Sanitize the drinking water by adding a diluted iodine solution to it (1% per gallon of water) until the outbreak subsides
  • Don’t change their usual diet as this may shock their digestive system and make them more susceptible to opportunistic infections
You might give your flock vitamins to strengthen their immune system.
Some of the common vitamins given include Vitamin E, Vitamin D and Vitamin A. These oil vitamins will work best when you give it to them in liquid form. There are also Fowl Pox vaccinations available. Once a chicken gets Fowl Pox, they cannot get it again and your flock will be immune to the disease.
This is all so helpful, thank you!

I agree that looks like fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes. It looks mild, so I would avoid touching the scabs since that can spread the pox virus. If it gets worse, Betadine can be painted on the scabs to help dry them out. Pox usually lasts about a month and clears up. I would leave the water the same.

Back
Top Bottom