Fox and Long Tailed Weasel

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jgarzasr, May 21, 2008.

1. jgarzasr

jgarzasr In the Brooder

May 6, 2008
    We moved our (7)Chicks out to the coop last week. It is a nice sturdy coop - so we are not too worried about anything getting at them while in there. But I built a small run - not real sturdy - because I meant for it to keep them in - not any predators out during the day. We also let them free range while we are at home - which seems to make them happy.

Well Yesterday - my wife was on the patio - and our dog started barking - He is kenneled up about 20' away from the coop. She looked and there was a Fox checking out the Chicks - but the dog scared it away. This was in the afternoon around 3:00 PM

Then this morning - I opened the coop to let them outside in the run - and a while later the dog started barking again - this time it was a long tailed weasel heading for the chicks - but the dog scared it away.

I thought these predators came out at night! I now plan on getting some materials and build a nice sturdy run...... Any suggestions on size for seven chickens to be happy while in there? And do these predators usually prowl during the day?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Fox generally come at out dusk & dawn, but we have had them come for lunchtime too. Once they see an opportunity (especially now when many have kits), they can be persistent.

3. Sherry

Sherry Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    'tis the season to feed babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: