Fox and the hens

MischickenNY

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Eastern NY (Dutchess County)
Well it finally happened. My S.O. And I left for vacation for four days while my grandmother stayed home and watched the chickens and the dogs, a fox got three of our chickens... two younger EE and one of my favorite roosters (could’ve been a hen). He attacked the two in the backyard and one in the front on camera, it’s almost as if he knew we left as it was on the first day. The fox came around 5pm so now we’re back and on the look out. Any tips?

Sorry to hear of tragedy. :hugs Only suggestion is to secure your run area. Not always an easy task. The bad portion about the fox,,,,,,, is that he will return for more.:hit
I don't hate the fox, since he is only trying to get a meal. I also understand that you are also keeping your chickens for your purpose. Eggs, companionship as pets, etc.
I suggest you look into a HOT WIRE fencing as a means of protecting your flock. Not sure if it is allowed in your area. Other factors to consider, is your family members. (children too young to understand)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

He attacked the two in the backyard and one in the front on camera,
I guess they were free ranging, and not in a pen.
Any tips?
To avoid losses, keeping them a secure pen is the best way.
Am sorry for your losses.

Around here I see Fox and Bobcat on camera during the day.
I let my chickens out to free range an hour before sunset daily and they're back in the pen around sunset and I'm locking them in the coop.

All was Jim dandy for nearly 3 years, till last April.
A Fox snatched a hen from the pen, seconds before I walked out, just after sunset.
So I've been going out 15 minutes before sunset.

Then last month I heard squawking about 10 minutes after letting them out, I was still outside, but not in visual contact.
I ran towards the noise, but saw nothing.
By the time I found the hens, there were only 3.
I searched, but found nothing, not even a feather
I suspect the Fox, but won't rule out the Bobcat.
I am sad, especially the loss of the first hen, she was the friendliest and my favorite.
I still free range, I am willing to accept losses.

My coops are secure, never lost a chicken after lockup.
My three remaining hens have been staying away from the tree line for the most part, where I suspect the last was taken.

I do have 5 pullets, 10 weeks old to replenish the flock.
I have tried to not name or be overly friendly with the new girls, I did name one.
So it's a matter of risk and how much loss you will accept.
I do love my chickens, but I won't deny them an hour of freedom daily, weather permitting.
20200707_193050_resized.jpg

These girls will be kept in a 200 square foot pen till all have been laying for at least a month. GC

Back
Top Bottom