Fox Attack: Free Range, or a New Life Behind Bars?

Some of us can free range without serious predator issues, some of us can't. I can't, not so much because of wildlife but because of people abandoning dogs in the country. Some people can accept an occasional loss, for others the loss of one chicken is a disaster. We are all different with different predator pressures and different tolerances. It's the kind of decision you'll have to make for yourself.

I'm all in favor of actively removing predators that are hunting your area. I've never had a problem with foxes, coyotes, or bobcats though I know they are around. In a typical year I permanently remove about two dozen raccoons, possums, and skunks from the coop or garden area. If you read that closely you'll see that removing one doesn't solve the problem. Two dozen. If there is one fox or raccoon, there are more. Removing one that is hunting your area reduces the immediate pressure but you never know when another will show up. So you either take your chances or you use barriers that work.

After losing a total of 13 chickens in two separate dog attacks I put up electric netting. That stopped all ground based predator attacks. Over the years I've lost one chicken to a hawk and one to an owl. The electric netting requires maintenance but it was the right solution for me. If your predator pressure is from flying predators like hawks, owls, or eagles the electric netting is not the answer. I don't know what the right answer is for you.
Thank you all! I have spent the better part of this morning searching electric netting (most places are out of stock for as long as a month!) and dog kennels/panels (again, out of stock!) - I'm thinking due to COVID resources and everyone and their uncle buying chickens and dogs late last year.

I'm truly at a loss as to what to do as there is no immediate option. My brain tells me to let them out but my heart wants to protect them in a confined space.

Thank you all! I have spent the better part of this morning searching electric netting (most places are out of stock for as long as a month!) and dog kennels/panels (again, out of stock!) - I'm thinking due to COVID resources and everyone and their uncle buying chickens and dogs late last year.

I'm truly at a loss as to what to do as there is no immediate option. My brain tells me to let them out but my heart wants to protect them in a confined space.
Needed a bigger run badly for 6 11 wk old pullets so I took (12) 4 ft pallets and connected them using 2 x 4s and made them a stout 8 ft x 16 ft thats covered in hardware (once finished) That will give my 6 chickens 128 sq ft additional room.I used one of these pallet to make me a door on the 6 ft tall side.This run gives my chickens 33 sq ft each to roam around in and scratch.One side is 16' long x 6 'tall (after adding 2 ft. to the pallets)The other side is the original height of the pallets (4 ft). This gives me plenty of head room on one side as it "gradually" drops down to 4'tall. I can clean in this run without breaking my back (and without breaking you!)You could make yours taller if you like (I'm only 5' 5") This run required(5) 8 or 10 ft 2 x 4's across the middle to support the hardware cloth I'm using to completely enclose the top and sides . My 2 x 4's will be 4 ft apart on top.You can add a strand or 2 of electric dog fence to a run this small for around $100 to discourage stray dogs and diggers .I'm adding "used" salvaged cinder blocks around the base to add stability and prevent diggers(in case the elctric fence doesn't stop them all) Mine is still under construction but moving along nicely.I hope this info maybe helps someone else much as it helped me!

Back
Top Bottom