FOX ATTACK HELP!

Donaldducker

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2021
Our poor baby Donald got attacked by a fox late last night. Luckily I heard her quack and noticed it wasn’t a normal quack and we went out to check on her, and jumped in between her and the fox scaring it away but not before he got some snips into her. We brought her in immediately and gave her a bath along with spraying some baxxine spray on her wounds. Is there anything more I can do for her to help treat her wounds? Posting some graphic pictures below from the initial attack and how she looks now. She is drinking water, and eating a little bit she’s not quacking a whole lot which worries me. She’s let out a few quacks but most of the time it’s like she’s trying and can’t get one out

Attachments

• 25517D2E-3EAC-4323-9801-BCC95277D65B.png
    25517D2E-3EAC-4323-9801-BCC95277D65B.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 322828C6-D6E9-4703-B8F5-C8A5C669365D.png
    322828C6-D6E9-4703-B8F5-C8A5C669365D.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • F26CDC5A-FCA9-40D6-865D-0EAFEC058F7D.jpeg
    F26CDC5A-FCA9-40D6-865D-0EAFEC058F7D.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 3A9199FE-2356-43E5-9657-D7A0104AECF8.jpeg
    3A9199FE-2356-43E5-9657-D7A0104AECF8.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 39
Our poor baby Donald got attacked by a fox late last night. Luckily I heard her quack and noticed it wasn’t a normal quack and we went out to check on her, and jumped in between her and the fox scaring it away but not before he got some snips into her. We brought her in immediately and gave her a bath along with spraying some baxxine spray on her wounds. Is there anything more I can do for her to help treat her wounds? Posting some graphic pictures below from the initial attack and how she looks now. She is drinking water, and eating a little bit she’s not quacking a whole lot which worries me. She’s let out a few quacks but most of the time it’s like she’s trying and can’t get one out. She did lay an egg early this morning not sure if that’s a good sign or not.
I really don’t know too much about ducks, but it’s good that she’s eating and drinking. The reason she’s not quacking is probably just shock I would guess?? I’m glad that you are taking care of her well, I hope someone that knows more about ducks can answer!

I really don’t know too much about ducks, but it’s good that she’s eating and drinking. The reason she’s not quacking is probably just shock I would guess?? I’m glad that you are taking care of her well, I hope someone that knows more about ducks can answer!
That’s what I’m hoping... the pesky fox got her twice on one side of her neck and once on the other. It’s officially been 24 hours since the initial attack and there haven’t been any signs that her air sac was penetrated thank goodness. I’m just worried about her. She’s our first and only duck because we wanted to learn how to properly care for one before adding anymore. She’s almost a year old and is my kids best friend.

@Miss Lydia @KaleIAm
Rinse the wound with a saline, Clorhexadine, diluted iodine or other sterile solution. Soapy warm water works to. Rinse it really good to keep it clean from the fox bite. Apply Neosporin or another Antibacterial ointment and don't wrap. Make are the wound stays moist with Antibacterial ointment. Keep her in a stress free place, it great that she is inside. Maybe try to wet down her feed, that may make it easier to get down. Add electrolytes to her water of you have them available.
You are doing a great job caring for her so far! You will be amazed at what poultry can bounce back from, they are very resilient. I bet with proper care she will be just fine! Make sure she has a dish of water deep enough to dip her full head in at all times, that is very important. Hope she continues to get better! Avery

That’s what I’m hoping... the pesky fox got her twice on one side of her neck and once on the other. It’s officially been 24 hours since the initial attack and there haven’t been any signs that her air sac was penetrated thank goodness. I’m just worried about her. She’s our first and only duck because we wanted to learn how to properly care for one before adding anymore. She’s almost a year old and is my kids best friend.
After she is healed, you should get her at least one more female friend. Since ducks are flock animals, they aren't very happy alone. You also need to work on predator proofing your coop, so that the fox can't strike again in the future. If you lock her up tight so the fox can't get to her anymore, then he will eventually move on and leave her be. I am happy to help with predator proofing as well!

After she is healed, you should get her at least one more female friend. Since ducks are flock animals, they aren't very happy alone. You also need to work on predator proofing your coop, so that the fox can't strike again in the future. If you lock her up tight so the fox can't get to her anymore, then he will eventually move on and leave her be. I am happy to help with predator proofing as well!
Do I need to add neosporin if I’m using the banixx spray? We planned to get her 2 new duck friends at the end of February. As far as the predator proofing we have a fenced in yard (which the pesky fox jumped into and out of), and we have an enclosed pen that we put her in at night with hardware cloth all around it. Idk how the dang thing got into her. There are 2 gates that give us access to the pen me and my husband opened both when we ran out to her that way it would go away. Any and all advice is welcome 🥰 thank you!!

Do I need to add neosporin if I’m using the banixx spray? We planned to get her 2 new duck friends at the end of February. As far as the predator proofing we have a fenced in yard (which the pesky fox jumped into and out of), and we have an enclosed pen that we put her in at night with hardware cloth all around it. Idk how the dang thing got into her. There are 2 gates that give us access to the pen me and my husband opened both when we ran out to her that way it would go away. Any and all advice is welcome 🥰 thank you!!
Okay perfect, I bet she will be happy to have friends soon. Otherwise, rinse the wounds really well with what I like to call " a sterile solution", really something like Saline, Chlorhexadine, diluted iodine, etc. Then, you can spray with Bannix, and apply Neosporin over that. Are the feathers in the wound? You may want to use finger nail clippers, and clip or pluck some of the feathers away from the wound to keep it clean. Its really good she is eating, and especially drinking!

Back
Top Bottom