Fox attack!! I've lost a hen!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FreeChicken!, Jun 15, 2011.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    A couple days ago, something got my White Leghorn hen, Delia. I could tell because of the scattered feathers everywhere. With my dog's help, I managed to follow the trail of feathers into the marsh in my woods. But then I lost it. I thought my troubles were over. But I was wrong.
    Just a couple minutes ago, I was sitting in my room and writing when I heard my two roosters start to squawk and my hens start to make these alarmed squabbly noises. I dropped my pen and ran outside just in time to see a fox run off towards the woods. It was about five feet away from my chickens' pen!
    I watched the fox run off, then counted my chickens. Everyone's there except my White Leghorn, Lily. The fox hadn't been carrying anything and there were no feathers (except for the usual few molted ones), so I assumed that Lily is off in that unknown place, laying an egg. She escapes every day just to come running back when I start to lose hope. So I know she's safe... but for how long? It's only a matter of time until the fox discovers her hiding space and gets a big dinner.
    So! The whole point of this story is so I can ask these two questions:
    1. Is there anything I can do to keep this fox away from my chickens? [​IMG]
    2. Is there anything I can do to keep Lily from escaping all the time? I've fixed the fences, clipped her wing, and everything. And she still flies over the fence. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Funny, I also have a white leghorn named lily!!!!

You could raise the fence up to keep the fox out, or scare him off somehow.

My lily used to escape a lot too, we would clip her wings many time. The only reason she doesn't now is because she knows what it's like to be chased by a dog and is afraid to leave.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Like I said, you could raise so she can't jump any higher.

You could also give the hens a good spot to hide that the fox can't get into. [​IMG][​IMG]
  3. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Okay, thanks, khatar! I'll do that. And I wish my Lily would get chased by my dog and be too afraid to leave the pen. But she's the one chasing my dog sometimes. XD
  4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Either fence and skirt the yard or run electric fence. An electric fence will not only turn a fox but coons, stray dogs and pretty much anything else without wings. They are inexpensive, easy to set up and move with step-in posts and can be solar powered or plugged in.

Maybe you can extend the fence heigth with deer netting and steel posts or you may have to lock her down till she learns to stay close
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by