Fox attack, missing chickens

MrMatt83

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2017
Had a confirmed fox attack this afternoon (my neighbor saw it carrying away one of my birds).
My question is how many chickens will they haul off? I saw feathers in a couple of different spots from a couple of my chickens but all 12 of my 3 month olds are missing. They were out free ranging and don’t usually go far from the coop. Should I expect that it took all of the others with no sign?

Also, this is my first time dealing with a fox. Have dealt with raccoons in the past and they make a pretty big mess

it depends a lot on your birds and the fox. If your birds are used to free ranging and have good instincts they will have scattered and hid, and will come back when they judge it safe to do so. There was an attack here last weekend and he got some feathers from two but all birds returned by dusk and only losses were some feathers. No sign of fox since.
If the fox had an easy time of it, he'll be back till he's had them all.

Thanks.
Hopefully they show up. They didn’t make it back last night. Traps will be going out for the fox.

Just had a strange fox attack too. Somehow he pried and squeezed into my locked fully enclosed run. Some feathers on the inside of the coop and a mess on the outside. Must have grabbed it inside and dragged it outside, but no blood anywhere and just a couple piles of feathers??? Is that even possible??? I couldn't find feathers anywhere in a radius around. This was all at 3pm in the afternoon! Been 2 years and not a single attack until today. Luckily I have a good hunting dog 5 year old weimaraner. He picked up the scent right away and we tracked at least a quarter mile and only found one single feather the whole way??? Again is this possible?? Then at last the not so sly fox led us right to the den and it was an incredible pleasure to give the release command and see 2 young foxes ripped to shreds. Somehow the adult got away and it was dusk so we'll go finish tomorrow. I wouldn't care so much but they are my kids pets and they were very upset.

So sorry, and this fox will return, kits dead or not.
Many of us have learned the hard way that our security needs improvement, as yours does ASAP. Hope you've fixed it already, or moved any survivors to a safer location.
Mary

Just had a strange fox attack too. Somehow he pried and squeezed into my locked fully enclosed run. Some feathers on the inside of the coop and a mess on the outside. Must have grabbed it inside and dragged it outside, but no blood anywhere and just a couple piles of feathers??? Is that even possible??? I couldn't find feathers anywhere in a radius around. This was all at 3pm in the afternoon! Been 2 years and not a single attack until today. Luckily I have a good hunting dog 5 year old weimaraner. He picked up the scent right away and we tracked at least a quarter mile and only found one single feather the whole way??? Again is this possible?? Then at last the not so sly fox led us right to the den and it was an incredible pleasure to give the release command and see 2 young foxes ripped to shreds. Somehow the adult got away and it was dusk so we'll go finish tomorrow. I wouldn't care so much but they are my kids pets and they were very upset.
My advice is get a lock a fox or coon can't open( Hasp and Carabiner Foxes will kill them all and carry them off one by one. Foxes eat their prey whole if its its small enough (3 week old chicks) Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom