Fox attack, scared rooster

eggychick

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
My Muran rooster has survived 3 fox attacks where on each attack all of his hens were killed.
In other attacks he hasn't seemed phased untill the latest, where he has become scared, docile and isn't aggressive.
I have also noticed that he hasn't been eating or drinking and seems to be pulling out/losing his feathers around the legs and neck, making him look very sparce, the skin underneath also looks very red raw.
Previously to these attacks he was a very confident,regal crowing and aggressive which I find are signs of a healthy bird.

Suggestions between me and my partner are that he is in shock and may have become depressed.
We have thought about getting him some more company with some new hens to lighten his spirits, but are worried that this could make him worse?

Can anyone help with suggestions or alternatives or had a similar experience??

Greetings from Kansas, eggychick, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I've never had a multiple attack but I certainly think you need to get him some company...and get rid of those foxes!!

:welcome and good luck with your poultry adventure! :frow Agreed, some lady friends might brighten him up a little. Those foxes got to go though, sounds like they know where the good eating chicken is now. :/

welcome-byc.gif
Poor guy, you need to beef up security or put some in place. Head for the predator section and study well. What you need is a chicken friendly dog that will protect them. You also need traps / and gun practice. Do you have any friends that hunt fox? As long as that fox knows there are chickens and tasty ones at that, he will be back. This poor rooster has been thru enough, if he starts doing better please re-home him so he doesn't have to relive this nightmare a fourth time. It's really cruel and unusual punishment.

We have a chicken friendly dog, a 6ft chicken wire enclosure with huts. We also shut the chickens away at dusk.
Tried hunting them. It's As if the foxes wait until there's an ideal moment when we take the dog for a walk.
Not an u usual punishment and not cruel at all, it's nature, we try our hardest to repel them but they just seem to get In the enclosure some how.
I personally think they climb over the fences somehow as there are no signs of burrowing under or holes in the fence.

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you really need to predator proof your chicken coop/run with hardware cloth, and if the top of the run isn't covered cover it right away!

Back
Top Bottom