Fox attack!

Mobes66

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
Arlington VERMONT
7200F749-D04D-4AB1-92D5-746C8BEB5816.jpeg
ok...I’m at a loss. My hen (affectionately called BuckBeak) was attacked today. My sister scared the fox away, but buck beak was cut pretty deeply. There is very little bleeding but I can see muscle. She has to be in pain...I have her in the hospital, now what? No vet close and it’s the weekend. Sorry for the fuzzy shot I’ll try and get a better pic...

Where is the wound located? Can you look all over, under wings for bite marks (puncture wounds.) Those can become infected easily. Deep wounds can heal well. I would nepot give anything for pain, in case of causing bleeding. What do you have for cleaning a wound? Betadine, chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) Vetericyn Wound Spray, saline, or soap and water can be used to clean the wound. Use some Triple Antibiotic Ointment one the wounds after cleaning. Can she stand and walk? I would keep her separated in a crate, and away from flies. Offer her some water, and a bit of cooked egg, along with her usual chicken feed. She might be in shock for part of a day, but when she is able, get her drinking.

Back
Top Bottom