Fox attack

Tam3003

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
One of my favourite girls was attacked by a fox last week. We managed to get to her in time thank goodness. I think he must have got her around her head because her eyes were swollen shut the next day. It's been a week and her eyes have opened, but she still looks like she's in a lot of pain. If I had to guess she's blind in the one eye and visually impaired in the other, her depth perception is completely off. But her hearing is definitely still good. Her spirit seems broken. She just hangs out in the coop all day sleeping. I would have expected an animal to be okay by now. She does drink and eat but we need to help her as she'll peck but in the wrong places so we're trying to guide her with sound / feed her with a syringe to make sure she's getting enough.
I guess I'm just looking for any tips to help this poor girl.

Do you have pictures of her eye? To tell if she's blind, move your finger back in forth in front of her eye. Look to see if it is dilating or blinking (do for both). Did she have any other injuries?

One of my favourite girls was attacked by a fox last week. We managed to get to her in time thank goodness. I think he must have got her around her head because her eyes were swollen shut the next day. It's been a week and her eyes have opened, but she still looks like she's in a lot of pain. If I had to guess she's blind in the one eye and visually impaired in the other, her depth perception is completely off. But her hearing is definitely still good. Her spirit seems broken. She just hangs out in the coop all day sleeping. I would have expected an animal to be okay by now. She does drink and eat but we need to help her as she'll peck but in the wrong places so we're trying to guide her with sound / feed her with a syringe to make sure she's getting enough.
I guess I'm just looking for any tips to help this poor girl.
Can you please post some photos of your hen and her eyes?

Tell us about how you have been treating her eyes? Flushing with saline, applying ointment (what kind)?
Is she able to eat/drink on her own or have you been hand feeding or tubing her?

Back
Top Bottom