Fox Attack

Yeah, call your local pet store to see if they have it, or see which online place can get it to you faster.

I am guessing the squishiness is fluid being in the wrong place, hopefully that will fix itself as she heals.

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.
I tried to flush the wound with the Vetericyn last night, as that was what was described on the bottle, and I was just trying to do the best that I could at the time. I dont see a flap at all, and I've been trying to keep it moist. I'll start using Neosporin as well, and see what I can find for antibiotics. Is it safe to syringe fluids into the beak of a bird with (what seems to be) respiratory issues? I know she needs to stay hydrated and have supplemental nutrition, but she sounds absolutely awful. Her gurgling makes it sound like she's purring, just taking breaths, and she is slightly open-mouth breathing.

Poor girl! That must have been very scary!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep flushing that puncture wound. You don't want it to become infected and cause an abscess. She may have a punctured air sac, but those can heal if not severe.

If you do decide to do antibiotics, you can get a few without prescription: baytril, fish mox, and antibiotics for cattle. I always have the first 2 on hand. I get the baytril online (Google baytril no prescription) and fish mox at pet stores.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep flushing that puncture wound. You don't want it to become infected and cause an abscess. She may have a punctured air sac, but those can heal if not severe.

If you do decide to do antibiotics, you can get a few without prescription: baytril, fish mox, and antibiotics for cattle. I always have the first 2 on hand. I get the baytril online (Google baytril no prescription) and fish mox at pet stores.
Do you know if the respiratory distress she is describing is normal?

It was terrible. Middle of a rainstorm, the entire flock of 19 was scattered, and I imagine much more terrifying for my poor girl.
I *just* ordered the Aqua-mox through Chewy - they usually ship quickly for me, so fingers crossed. Thank you for your reply ❤️

I do think that what you describe may be a leaking or ruptured air sac. It feels like air under the skin. Has it increased in size, and do you hear any clicking sound when she breathes? If she is in respiratory distress or the air is getting larger, you can insert an 18 gauge needle just under the akin, and push out the air or remove it with a large syringe.

Is the wound near her crop? Can you try to dip her beak into some electrolyte or sugar water? My chickens will usually eat scrambled egg bits, tuna, wet chicken feed, and canned cat food, but that is just to tempt a sick one to eat. Fluids are more important now.

Here are some videos to show removing air in a leaking air sac:

I do think that what you describe may be a leaking or ruptured air sac. It feels like air under the skin. Has it increased in size, and do you hear any clicking sound when she breathes? If she is in respiratory distress or the air is getting larger, you can insert an 18 gauge needle just under the akin, and push out the air or remove it with a large syringe.

Is the wound near her crop? Can you try to dip her beak into some electrolyte or sugar water? My chickens will usually eat scrambled egg bits, tuna, wet chicken feed, and canned cat food, but that is just to tempt a sick one to eat. Fluids are more important now.

Here are some videos to show removing air in a leaking air sac:

It feels more like liquid, honestly. Like, I could feel it squishing, almost like it would slosh if I was being less gentle. I think it has decreased in size some, and she does have crackled/gurgled breathing. It worsens when I try to treat the wound, which I'm assuming is just a reaction to the pain/stress of being treated.
The wound is on the opposite (right) side, on her back between her shoulder and her neck. I'll try to dip her beak. And thank you for replying ❤️

Back
Top Bottom