Fox attack :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hensandchickscolorado, Mar 14, 2013.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    My three hens were out enjoying the sunny day today...and a fox got all three of them :(.

I looked out back to see a fox trotting around the yard. I scared him off, and saw one of my girls, feathers all around, quite dead on the ground. Upon further investigation--I found the other two. Headless, I think. It was awful; both were in corners of the yard so they obviously ran off and he attacked. I am hoping that they didn't struggle too much, poor girls.

Here's what was weird--he killed them, but didn't take them. There was no blood. He came back, for his dinner, I suppose, but is this how foxes operate? They kill everything in sight and then come back later to gobble them up??

I am so sad; the girls were almost two years old and have done so well. I'm not sure if we should replace them as I don't want to keep hens cooped up all day, but free ranging is obviously dangerous where I live.

What a sad day :(.
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Oh so sorry ! Im sure they wanted to eat them, but something must have scared them. In my area I have coyotes. I have to put fences around to keep them safe. including top of fences to keep hawks out !!
  3. SussexChicks

SussexChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Get a Beagle or LGD to chase away foxes
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bummer - unfortunately free ranging carries the risk of predation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by