Fox attacked my duck! PLEASE HELP!!!

The End
hmm.png

Bird Sitter, Miss Lydia is trying very kindly to tell you to stop this thread. You vented, people offered sympathy and advice to keep it from happening again.

But you have tried and failed to convince the people on this thread to agree with you that you do not need to change your setup and procedure, so Miss Lydia and some of the other posters have decided to agree to disagree with you and not spend more time on it.

You have the right to your opinions, and you are welcome to them. Enjoy them, but don't expect others to agree with you or carry on conversations that are not productive.

Kill the dog. We kept building up the fences for our large exhibition flock of geese, and my long breed flock of laying ducks. Lots of time and money invested. I was gone for 27 minutes yesterday, and these dogs were trapped in my pens upon my return. They killed over 50 birds total. Replacement cost? over 4000 dollars. Emotional cost of having to go out this morning and pile up all my sweet birds, the ones I've hatched and fed and reared, and paid good money for breeding stock off, off the charts. Price of my children in tears over the 4H animals, also off the charts.

Its not us who kills people "pets", its them who murder their own pets through crappy and irresponsible "pet" ownership.

Time to shoot, shovel, and shut up. Wish I had. We have weighted bottom, 6' fences, and within the perimeter fences, I have my bird paddocks. The dogs dug under the perimeter, and torn down the interior. In fact, our fences are so good, they got stuck in the inner Muscovy pen, and couldn't find their way back out. That's here I found them, in my innermost pen, about 3 fences inside the perimeter. I did my part. Wish the dog owners had done theirs.

Killed 3 exhibition quality geese. Killed our thanksgiving turkey, and a red Bourbon hen. Killed our special rooster. Killed about 45 ducks, including my new french white Muscovy's. some of these birds are rare heirloom birds. there are estimated to be about 100 breeding pairs of quality Anconas. These dogs killed 4 mated pairs yesterday.
What did you end up doing with those guilty dogs?

I'm writing this because I turned to this website when my runner ducks, 2 nights ago, were attacked by a fox. One was missing no where to be found and 2 were laying in the grass and appeared to be dead. When we got closer to one and bent down, we could see faint breathing. It was shocking he was still alive. Went over to the other laying in the grass and was the same, faint breathing. We picked them both up and thought their necks were broken because they were limp, not able to hold their heads up. We got a towel for each to support their limp bodies and started to assess their other injuries. Their other injuries were such we thought they wouldn't live through the night. Later in the night we find that indeed, neither of their necks were broken because they started moving their heads. We attempted to make them as comfortable as possible, put them away from the other ducks and protected from predators in their house which they were familiar with and hope for the best. I went on the internet to find what to do and I came to this site. I was very concerned about the wounds because they were puncture wounds and appeared to be deep.

The next morning they were both still alive, neither had eaten, drank water or pooped. One was laying on his side and the other was squatting. The one of the injured which was right side up followed the rest of the group of ducks out of their pen when let out. When I checked on them about 1/2 hr. later, the injured one attempting to keep up with the group was laying on his back unable to turn right up. It had rained during the night and his feathers were not repelling the water off the ground. He was soaked and also full of mud.

When I saw the condition they were in, I decided to bring them in and keep them in my kitchen. They weren't moving, so I needed keep a closer eye on them. Their puncture wounds had a lot of bruising around them and looked swollen. I read a few different posts that said flush the wounds out with Epsom salt and water solution, peroxide and then put Neosporin on which I did. There were so many injuries I wasn't sure I got them all. Again, I was very concerned about the wounds because they were puncture wounds and I started to smell infection. With my experience with horses and abscesses, I know soaking their hoofs for 15 minutes at a time in Epsom salt draws out the infection. This may seem drastic, but my husband and I soaked their bodies in the kitchen sink in an Epsom salt solution. Their bodies normally float, but we held them down under the solution supporting their heads out of the water, There were injuries on their necks as well, so we made sure these injuries were in the solution soaking in the water for the full 15 minutes. Both ducks didn't resist us, probably because they were too weak. But after the 1st few minutes they seemed to really relax. The first day (Thurs.) we did this 2x when we could smell the infection. On the end of the 1st full day, they did start to poop, but would just lay in it. They couldn't move. Because of this, we laid them on a beach towel and would change it when they pooped, which was maybe 2x a day. Then, the next day, we backed off to soaking them 1x a day. We got an eye dropper and forced them to drink a little water. The 2nd (Sat) full day I called our horse vet who has a lot of wonderful home remedies that really work for our horses and our other animals. We told him what happened and what we were doing. We were concerned because we were keeping them alive, but they still were just laying there. Were we just allowing them to suffer and prolong the inevitable. He told us we were doing all the right things and we needed to give it a little longer. He told us to try to get some raw egg in them because they weren't eating, he also told us to give them a few drops of wine. Believe it or not it worked within the 1st 15 minutes. The wine completely relaxed them both where they would sleep through their injuries. That evening they both started drinking the water and raw egg on their own. Things seem to be getting better for them. Time to go to bed and hopefully things will be better in the a.m. Tomorrow night I will follow up on how things are going. Good night.

My rough collie has followed and made new ways right over under and through tough fortified and electrified fencing (think his thick coat protects against sharpness and electricity, as seen him bite and shake another dog till it went limp while it and he were in barbed and hot wires). he constantly chases after panther, coyote, and dogs that have come right past fences fortified to keep them out. So sadly the safest thing is to get and humanely train good working stock dogs (even seen jack russel terrier and pitbull terrier make great stock dogs, but wont stop chasing predator till gone and not come back for days maybe).

There are no bad dogs and not dogs fault when pack up roam and kill, its instinct in most dogs. however its a sad necessity tp do something with untrained dogs. I've taken and seen dogs that were stock killers, champion bloodline with three years winning to death pittbulls (rare), guard and attack dogs trained and have killed humans (rare), that have been easily retrained and made great service dogs therapy dogs family dogs, and farm dogs. i found them easier and quicker to train than pups actually (just like changing a sports play). So when catch dogs trying to get at your stock, keep and use them to guard them (which doesn't work if your current dog/s runs them off ).

Last edited:
I'm writing this because I turned to this website when my runner ducks, 2 nights ago, were attacked by a fox. One was missing no where to be found and 2 were laying in the grass and appeared to be dead. When we got closer to one and bent down, we could see faint breathing. It was shocking he was still alive. Went over to the other laying in the grass and was the same, faint breathing. We picked them both up and thought their necks were broken because they were limp, not able to hold their heads up. We got a towel for each to support their limp bodies and started to assess their other injuries. Their other injuries were such we thought they wouldn't live through the night. Later in the night we find that indeed, neither of their necks were broken because they started moving their heads. We attempted to make them as comfortable as possible, put them away from the other ducks and protected from predators in their house which they were familiar with and hope for the best. I went on the internet to find what to do and I came to this site. I was very concerned about the wounds because they were puncture wounds and appeared to be deep.

The next morning they were both still alive, neither had eaten, drank water or pooped. One was laying on his side and the other was squatting. The one of the injured which was right side up followed the rest of the group of ducks out of their pen when let out. When I checked on them about 1/2 hr. later, the injured one attempting to keep up with the group was laying on his back unable to turn right up. It had rained during the night and his feathers were not repelling the water off the ground. He was soaked and also full of mud.

When I saw the condition they were in, I decided to bring them in and keep them in my kitchen. They weren't moving, so I needed keep a closer eye on them. Their puncture wounds had a lot of bruising around them and looked swollen. I read a few different posts that said flush the wounds out with Epsom salt and water solution, peroxide and then put Neosporin on which I did. There were so many injuries I wasn't sure I got them all. Again, I was very concerned about the wounds because they were puncture wounds and I started to smell infection. With my experience with horses and abscesses, I know soaking their hoofs for 15 minutes at a time in Epsom salt draws out the infection. This may seem drastic, but my husband and I soaked their bodies in the kitchen sink in an Epsom salt solution. Their bodies normally float, but we held them down under the solution supporting their heads out of the water, There were injuries on their necks as well, so we made sure these injuries were in the solution soaking in the water for the full 15 minutes. Both ducks didn't resist us, probably because they were too weak. But after the 1st few minutes they seemed to really relax. The first day (Thurs.) we did this 2x when we could smell the infection. On the end of the 1st full day, they did start to poop, but would just lay in it. They couldn't move. Because of this, we laid them on a beach towel and would change it when they pooped, which was maybe 2x a day. Then, the next day, we backed off to soaking them 1x a day. We got an eye dropper and forced them to drink a little water. The 2nd (Sat) full day I called our horse vet who has a lot of wonderful home remedies that really work for our horses and our other animals. We told him what happened and what we were doing. We were concerned because we were keeping them alive, but they still were just laying there. Were we just allowing them to suffer and prolong the inevitable. He told us we were doing all the right things and we needed to give it a little longer. He told us to try to get some raw egg in them because they weren't eating, he also told us to give them a few drops of wine. Believe it or not it worked within the 1st 15 minutes. The wine completely relaxed them both where they would sleep through their injuries. That evening they both started drinking the water and raw egg on their own. Things seem to be getting better for them. Time to go to bed and hopefully things will be better in the a.m. Tomorrow night I will follow up on how things are going. Good night.

Yes please let us know how they are doing. and Welcome to the forum and BYC.

Back
Top Bottom