Fox? Bobcat? Losing one bird a day, need to identify.

Most small hawks such as sharp shinned hawks (which i doubt you have them right now but, possible) are opportunists and rely on surprise attacks like flying low and weaving through vegetation and brush and attacking by surprise. There have been studies proving this theory with hawks being found dead or injured with broken breast plates and wings. Smaller bird of prey species in most cases are unable to carry a large bird in flight but will attack and kill for necessity and if they cant drag/low fly into cover will eat the most important parts in a hurry and eat more if not disturbed. Again, this is just my observation here in central Texas where a sharp shinned hawk can be deadly at the size of a pigeon. Also, if you happen upon a fresh kill from a hawk and he flies off, chances are he will return to the crime scene pretty quick as they are very greedy.

Gerald Barker
Them there sharp shinned aka blue darter hawks aka quail hawks etc. are truly bad news when rearing young chickens. In my misspent youth I spent many hours sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in an isolated chicken pen with the door open, waiting for blue darter hawks to return to the scene of their crimes. Gerald is 100% correct.

In fact many blue darter hawks whose corpse has been carefully studied show signs of healed broken bones that could only have been fractured by collisions with tree trunks and limbs.

Red tails normally wont attack "yard" birds, I say normally very loosely. Ive only seen one red tail ever attack a yard fowl and it was an old sickly hawk that looked desperate. Ive seen red tails eat road kill next to buzzards but rare to see one attack yard fowl. Very possible, though because you never know when it comes to this time of the year. This is only my experience and observations others should chime in.

Gerald Barker

Yep, I was pretty surprised to see a Red Tail out there. But I'd have bet that little capon recognized it. He was hopping around like crazy the hour before I finally got cold enough to go inside, poor little fella must have been terrified.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the weather that drove him to attacking poultry. Especially a big heavy hen like my Rock - I mean, this wasn't a skinny production style Rock, this was a Real Deal Heritage Plymouth Rock. It's been about 10-20 degrees colder on average this year than the past several years, so I'm sure a lot of the wildlife is having a hard time of it.

Them there sharp shinned aka blue darter hawks aka quail hawks etc. are truly bad news when rearing young chickens.  In my misspent youth I spent many hours sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in an isolated chicken pen with the door open, waiting for blue darter hawks to return to the scene of their crimes.  Gerald is 100% correct.

In fact many blue darter hawks whose corpse has been carefully studied show signs of healed broken bones that could only have been fractured by collisions with tree trunks and limbs.

I don't think I've ever seen a Sharp Shinned around here. Thankfully I haven't seen hardly any Hawks around here at all actually, besides the odd Red Shoulder or Peregrine and now this fella (or lady - I'd bet lady, it was simply massive). Lost a big fowl to one a few years back, a Thai stag, but I was on vacation at the time and the bird never came back for a second meal anyhow. (clever bird)

Check with your local game and fish department. They may have suggestions for you. You may also be able to ask around and find someone willing to trap or shoot it for you if you are in an area that permits that.

I'm not going to anymore until we figure it out. We saw the Bobcat in our yard yest right before dark. He had my hen in his mouth and we ran towards him and he dropped her and ran off. They are killing our neighbors chickens as well. He wouldn't leave our yard last night. We were standing in a distance from him and he was just watching our yard.?

Scary.
hide.gif

Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom