Fox/dog attack

enrgizerbunny

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Virginia, USA
Recently I had a fox show up in broad daylight (twice) and carry off 6 birds, and I suspect a neighborhood dog was later involved with one that was missing hey tail feathers and a body in the yard. I do not think the dog was trying to kill them, but I don't hold it against him, he's still a puppy.

I have one bird with a laceration to her head and I don't see blood or other apparent injuries to the others, they're all moving fine. I know chickens mask their injuries. The question is : how should I best treat any injuries that appear to be getting worse?

Do you have photos of her injuries?

General care for a wound on the head close to the eyes is to clean with saline, trim feathers from around the wound if necessary so you can see it better and it stay cleaner, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Clean daily if it's getting soiled, reapply the ointment. Keep her where flies can't get on the wound.

Do you have photos of her injuries?

General care for a wound on the head close to the eyes is to clean with saline, trim feathers from around the wound if necessary so you can see it better and it stay cleaner, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Clean daily if it's getting soiled, reapply the ointment. Keep her where flies can't get on the wound.

I was finally able to look at her wounds yesterday and no I do not have any photos. Without trimming any feathers they look superficial with the top being worse than the one on her neck. The bird missing her tail feathers doesn't appear to have any open wounds just some irritated sin on her tail. The other 3 look normal.

Back
Top Bottom