Fox help

dragonshiner

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Okay, so I knew that when I made the decision to let my birds free range it would run the risk of predator assault. Now it's a reality.
A few of my ducks had either died or dissappeared in their time with us and I just chalked it up "Well, that'll happen." But as of yesterday I saw my very first fox attack a chicken in our garden. I was too late to save it but chased the fox as far as I could away from our land in to the neighbors cornfield.
Today one of my ducks dissappeared. Tate was a call duck and very slow moving. If this were high school any sensible person would have voted him most likely to be eaten by predator. But unlike the chicken attack, where I found feathers scattered in horrific array, there was no sign of a struggle or attack. He's just gone. This has happened to about two or three ducklings prior. But after witnessing the fox with my own eyes I 'm at a loss as for what to do.
Is there any kind of fox deterring I can put in place? I don't own a gun, and even if I did I don't think I could spend endless hours on stakeout for a small fuzzy rogue.
Any ideas would help. I'd like to keep my flock out free ranging.

sigh, I was afraid of hearing that. There's no room in the chicken coop for the ducks and I don't have the money for extra fencing right now. Looks like I'm gonna have to run my chances until I can afford to build a place for them.

I think it is unfair to the animal for us to buy these creatures if we know we have no where for them to live and no way of providing basic protection. To me it is like having too many human children and not providing them food, protection or proper care.

It is not as if the animals are forced on us and we have no choice but to take them. We must be responsible adults. I am dying to have a pair of goats but i can not just go out and bring them home until i have a proper place prepared for them. Otherwise i am being unfair to the animal.

I hope this message helps to prevent someone else from putting animals in harms way due to their own negligence. I will pray you will be able to get a roll of fencing and a net quickly for the animal's sake.

I am so sorry for THEIR lives being in danger.

Trapping, shooting, and other fox control methods vary from state to state. Check your state for their guidelines.

Once a fox has 'pegged' your location, they will come back regularly and wipe out everything you have in a short period of time.

Quote:
At night I keep my ducks locked safely away in the barn where they have constant access to food and water. During the day is when I let them outside to access the pool and as much greens and bugs as they can munch. They stay around the house and barn because it's well maintained and can see everywhere around them. When we bought the house I was told by the neighbors, who also let their birds free range, that they had not had any problems with foxes or other predators in the area. I did not take that as a sign that it couldn't ever happen, but this fox appearing is a new development and I am taking the available steps to ensure the safety of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom