Fox in the Hen House. Literally..

Jbirden

Hatching
Jul 23, 2020
Hey everyone!
I’m reaching out to see if anyone has some pointers or tips with keeping foxes away from chickens. The local fox here has already taken a few of my birds in broad daylight, even when I was in the yard working on stuff. This morning he even came up to the coop while I was sitting next to my birds. Luckily I had my trusty guiding stick that I threw at him to scare him away.
I’ve tried several methods of non-lethal trapping, but I’m afraid I’ll have to resort to lethal measures, aka firearm. I’d rather not resort to it but really don’t want to lose anymore birds. The chickens have a free range pen with 5 foot high chicken wire fencing currently.

:welcome :frowSo sorry for your losses. If the fox is that brave, I would worry. It will keep coming back until it gets all of your birds. It knows they are there and has made some kills in the past. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and the predators know they are there. I had a fox that killed my special bird during the day. I did trap it and eliminated it. I have seen fox on my game cameras since. I used a live trap and baited it with some old chicken that had found its way to the bottom of my freezer. I let the fox take the bait for a few days then set the traps and caught it. Good luck...
DSCF0010 18.jpg
DSCF0012 22.jpg

I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. All due to losses from predators in the past and the predators know it.
2014-11-18 17.08.29.jpg

This is my chick/grow-out coop. Here most of the predators roam at night.
DSCF0002124 01.jpg
DSCF0002112019 02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom