FOX: Is there ANY way to get EVICT them from the premises?

traps, maybe, if they big enough
live traps and relocation - far enough away so they don't find their way back. you could shoot them with a pellet gun. there are pellet guns available that are powerful enough to take down a large animal like a deer. just do a little research. as a last resort, you could poison them. just be sure to target them only, so nothing else gets hurt.
what ever you do - good luck.

We have a large Victorian home in a neighborhood of large Victorians on small, in-town lots. Behind our house we have a big carriage barn, and part of the barn has been our coop for several years. Two years ago I lost my whole flock to a fisher. Prior to this, we have had a small flock of 8 hens for 15+ years and never had a predator attack. One of the hens we lost was 8 years old. Anyway, I didn't replace them right away, and for two years (that we know of-- most likely longer!) a family of fox have been living in under the barn, cavorting in the back yard. We set up a trail camera and they're very active. Last summer they raised 4 kits under there, despite our many attempts to get them to leave, and the fact that we also have three big dogs in our fenced yard. They don't seem to care. This year we need them to GO because we have chicks ordered, set to be delivered on 4/28.

Is there any effective way to get fox to LEAVE?! Other than shooting them; as I said our lots are small and our neighbors are close. We have tried everything: solar powered flashing "predator" eyes, ammonia-soaked rags, motion-activated water blaster, radio, dog urine, husband urine, coyote urine (bottled. who knew?) tin foil, hardware cloth, crushed red pepper flakes... all to no avail. Latest was heavy-duty no-dig spike strips that are buried in the ground, to deter digging under. Last night they moved several cubic yards of dirt and rock and dug down 16" and got in again. We are at our wits' end.

Is an effective fox solution that doesn't involve firearms a rare unicorn? Does ANYTHING work?
Pepperspray always worked for me. They never come back.

We have a large Victorian home in a neighborhood of large Victorians on small, in-town lots. Behind our house we have a big carriage barn, and part of the barn has been our coop for several years. Two years ago I lost my whole flock to a fisher. Prior to this, we have had a small flock of 8 hens for 15+ years and never had a predator attack. One of the hens we lost was 8 years old. Anyway, I didn't replace them right away, and for two years (that we know of-- most likely longer!) a family of fox have been living in under the barn, cavorting in the back yard. We set up a trail camera and they're very active. Last summer they raised 4 kits under there, despite our many attempts to get them to leave, and the fact that we also have three big dogs in our fenced yard. They don't seem to care. This year we need them to GO because we have chicks ordered, set to be delivered on 4/28.

Is there any effective way to get fox to LEAVE?! Other than shooting them; as I said our lots are small and our neighbors are close. We have tried everything: solar powered flashing "predator" eyes, ammonia-soaked rags, motion-activated water blaster, radio, dog urine, husband urine, coyote urine (bottled. who knew?) tin foil, hardware cloth, crushed red pepper flakes... all to no avail. Latest was heavy-duty no-dig spike strips that are buried in the ground, to deter digging under. Last night they moved several cubic yards of dirt and rock and dug down 16" and got in again. We are at our wits' end.

Is an effective fox solution that doesn't involve firearms a rare unicorn? Does ANYTHING work?
Try with moth balls. I had the same problem with skunks and I emptied the whole bag under the barn/chicken coop, good bye skunks. Good luck.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of my pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. I don't free range anymore either. I have used leg traps but now only live trap. If you have a nuecense fox, it will keep coming back especially if it has made a kill. It will lurk looking for an opportunity. Lessons learned the hard way. Since I put up the electric wires nothing has intruded. I also have several game cameras up on my property and fairly regularly see predators on them mostly at night here. The bobcat killed 14 birds one might. It made the mistake of coming back as well as the fox. In most places it is illegal to relocate catches without the property owners permission of where you relocate to. We are rural on a dead end road and have been the recipients of others relocations. My wires aren't pretty but they work.
View attachment 2583466View attachment 2583467View attachment 2583471View attachment 2583472View attachment 2583474
Nice leghorns. Poison them, you obviously have to get rid of them.

I thought you meant that I should poison my Leghorns too. I thought that was cruel. I'm glad you corrected yourself. No live traps work well and I only eliminate the predators that invade my coops and pens and have killed any of my birds, which hasn't happened in a very long time. The electric wires around the coops and pens keep the predators away. Even though I see a predator most every night when they roam here on my cameras, they stay away from the hot wires. I only put poison out for the rats in my barn in bait stations in a pet carrier on a shelf so only the rats can get to the bait.

I was seeing a fox quite regularly but lately no fox but have been seeing a coyote. I's been a little foggy out at night lately. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there.
DSCF0001328 05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom