Fox killed all my chickens, in one night!

homemakerjulie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
west central, MO
We have been trying to catch this thing for over a year, it has actually even been shot with a shotgun (just got the back end) and he/she came back last night and outwitted our latch, took each one. I think it might be a she as someone said they saw one with pups (or are they kits??), I think that is how so many got taken (we had 14). Over the last week she had been coming during the day, has gotten 4 before last night. I'm so sad, I miss my chickens and all their chickenness, the rooster crowing, the egg calls, the 'hey, where is everyone?'. The yard is so quiet and lonely.

Julie

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
so sorry for your loss, I would think a female with kits. I don't know what I can say to help maybe a game cam and lights an electric fence.

hugs.gif
Oh that is so horrible, this just bring tears to my eyes..
hit.gif
... I am very worried about predators here, we have so many that have been seen close, I just got my coop... Fort Knox'd and am still very nervous!! I feel so bad for you, sending hugs and vibes to keep you strong.
hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss!!! Hope you will be getting more!!!

We are getting the electric fence, have a few chicks that are still inside (7 weeks old), and we are moving in a few weeks, we will be putting up the electric then. Kicking myself as hubby was going to get the fence a few weeks ago when the fox was coming out during the day, but we decided to wait until we moved, less to move and all.

sorry about the bad news. I know it hurts. I've lost chickens to every thing from coons, possums, weasels, and yes even bears. but us chicken folk just gotta keep tryin with better defenses, traps and whatever we can do. so dont give up.

Thank you all, I really needed the chicken love from those who'd understand. We are actually going to get the fencing tomorrow, even though we don't have the chickens (we have some chicks, but they are thankfully inside).

We have three dogs, but they are inside at night, though, might have to rethink that, as the two bigger ones have both chased foxes off, Pepper would totally catch a fox, Juniper would just chase it away. I am actually surprised that they didn't start barking, I am guessing there had to be quite a commotion, and the living room window was open, so regretting not openning the bedroom, it is about 20 feet from where the chickens sleep, I would have been able to at least save a few. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Back
Top Bottom