Fox killed my chicken, rooster did nothing?

Pics
So I was a little late locking the birds up tonight, about 30 minutes. When I got home, I heard all the birds screaming together and one standing by my other car. I knew something was wrong so I run over there and one of my barred rock girls was laying in a pool of blood and dying. I lost it. I tried to comfort her while she took her last breath.. I guided the stray into the coop and both my roos were perched on the roost like nothing happened. She was only like 8 feet from the coop. Why didn't they help? I thought roos were suppose to protect the hens and fight until the death for them? Was it because it was too dark to see outside? They have a little lamp in their coop. They were just sitting there while the hens were squaking.. I think they knew their sister was being killed. I wish I could have gotten back just 5 mins before because I could have stopped this. He literally had just grabbed her then dropped her and ran when I came up. Dunno what to do. Going to keep them on lockdown for now.
Losing a chicken is the worst.
A good rooster will help but in the case of a fox its usually just a self sacrifice and maybe during the commotion the other birds can find safety.
In my experience, roosters are excellent guards against avian predators or small mammals like skunk or opossum, but are out matched despite the greatest effort when it comes to fox and larger.

Back
Top Bottom