Fox on property!!!! Picture added.....

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
I just went out at noon to check on my newest addition to the family....and as i did i noticed my cat sitting at the corner of the run looking out into the brush. Then i notice some little ears bouncing up and down. There are two baby fox out just beyond where our coop is. I made alot of noise and i even yelled but they just calmly curled up and laid down....as if they are just taking a early afternoon nap. I am pretty sure these are just the babies and mama wasn't around as far as i could see.

Now i am so thankful that dh put the extra time into making our coop very safe....although you can never be sure.

Is it normal for them to be out during the day and to be soooooooooooo calm and unaffected by noise?

Last edited:
Yeah I yelled at the ones here and they lingered a while before leaving too.
Good luck
:|

I see fox running through my garden during the day. They don't seem to bother my girls though. Our coop is located in our front yard. The run makes up one side of the fence. Our dogs are always hanging around out there. So far so good!
smile.png

Yes...The neighbour's dog had cornered a red fox under another neighbour's truck.
The red fox is mostly nocturnal, although it will sometimes venture out in the day. I've also read that you're morely likely to see them around dawn and dusk.

Last edited:
We've been here almost 3 weeks now and I've seen 4 dang foxes here. We'll be cementing the welded wire/hardware cloth into the ground here. Safety precaution. I don't want to lose 50+ birds. Ugh :eek:

Yep, the ones around my area are pretty unaffected by loud noise, etc., and yes, I've seen them in the daytime. They sure are beautiful creatures, but I don't want them NEAR my chickens!

That one actually almost looks full grown to me. Then again, it is hard to tell the size of it in the picture. It sure is cute.. but, you better keep an eye on them make sure they aren't scoping out your coop.

-Kim

Darn little rascal showed his face again!!! I went out my front door this morning to move my car and there he was....just standing there looking at me. Did he budge when i yelled or stomped my feet? NO!! He just looked at me. Then he slowly sauntered away as i walked to my car.

My husband was talking to a neighbor who told him she had seen the fox with a chicken in his mouth not too long ago. Sooooooooo he is checking out my girls. I gotta say though my coop must be pretty intimidating because there is no proof of attempted entry as of yet. I do think i've spotted some fox poop near it though.

Last edited:
If they have survived, both parents will be watching over the kits until September. In fact, they're probably watching you! Pound for pound a kit eats far more in proportion to an adult. Keep checking your security. We have so many foxes this year and raccoons. Our coop, which we fret over constantly, is built to keep the girls separated from all this!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom