fox ON run!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmgirl77, Jul 20, 2010.

1. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    My husband went to give the chickens some kitchen scraps and they were making a racket. As he walked up there he noticed something ON TOP of the turkey run. As he got closer he realized it was a fox! He said it was walking on the chain-link and trying to figure out how to get to my four turkeys. The fox didn't notice him because the birds were making such a racket. The "big brave" banty rooster was acting aggressive and threatening....from the corner as far away from the fox as possible [​IMG]. Anyway, my hubby grabbed a piece of a 2X4 and got pretty close to the fox and chucked it as hard as he could. It hit the fox in the head and it fell off the run. As hubs was trying to get to it it got up and shook off and ran away kind of wobbly.

This fox visits multiple times a day and has killed three hens. Favorites, of course. Hopefully this will make it change its habits.

2. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Thank you for trying to manage without killing the fox. I know its a pain in the patootey to lose birds. I deal with Bobcats. I refuse to kill the cat even in the face of overwhelming pressure to do so. "In wildness lies salvation." : Aldo Leopold

edited for language​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  3. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:I'd be willing to bet if he had been able to make better contact with that 2X4 he'd be looking for a shovel to finish the second S. Don't mistake the unavailabilty of the proper weapon at the proper moment as an unwillingness to dispatch a predator.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  4. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Yeah, he would have killed it if he could have gotten to it.

5. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    what are the 3 s's?

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Shoot, shovel and shut up, one of the best pieces of advice I've read here.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by