Fox Pictures (next to the coop)

The photos aren't that great, but I am pretty sure that it is a fox. It would have to be a pretty foxy looking dog. How am I sure it's a fox? There is indeed a tail, a pretty long one that flows off the body just like a fox tail. It has the field markings of a fox, reddish tan with black legs. He's the right size for a fox.

If he doesn't have mange, then he has SOMETHING. Fox tend to have someone bushy tails, and this poor guy has a long ratty tail.

Here I contrasted the picture some so the fox stands out better against his background. Didn't add or delete anything from the photo(except the red line to show the tail), just contrasted it. Things to note: Tail, almost as long as the body, I highlighted it in red. Both ears have black tips, a fox field mark and also a way to see there are erect. Legs are black, another field mark. See how the animal is almost the same color as the coop? A reddish brown. Also, see the back legs of the animal in comparison to the back and tail? The back legs are "camped under" domestic dogs "typically" have straight legs. Compare is to the mange fox picture posted and you'll see that both animals hind legs are "camped under".

((Obviously not my picture))

foxbycoopcrop-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess around at all. Put the thing out of his misery. Definately a fox with mange, I have seen it first hand several times. Don't ask questions, shoot first. Lots more fox in the country, and allowing it to stay in that condition risks contaminating the rest of the fox population. Its a hard thing to do sometimes but in the long run it is better for everyone.

Fox10.jpg

To me, it looks more like a dog (a mutt). The ears seem to flop over at the tips, and what looks to be the long tail by the red line, appears to be the back leg. It's almost as though the tail is tucked down ... maybe between the legs.

idunno.gif

Last edited:
We had one that i swear had rabies and or mange on our road this summer. It looked really bad/sick. And was out during the day not scared of us at all! It was just wandering up and down the road and it even chased my neighbors when they took their dog for a walk by the river at the end of our road. I called the police...they came and it ran into some bushes and they said..they wernt going in there to get it. (it was raining outside..they didnt want to get wet..) UGH! I said it HAS to have rabies its not afraid of us at all! It chased the neighbors! It looks VERY sick! It was just laying in the middle of the road earlier today looking at us! THey still would not do anything! And i dont have a gun... Or i would have put it out of its misery! I'm still ticked at that cop..
somad.gif

But it was only around for a few more days and we never saw it again..it must have died.. Thankfully.

Actually the red line is the tail. I remember it well! The back legs are almost even. You can see a bit of the back right showing through. I don't remember the tips of the ears folding over as they look in the picture. I remember them being pointy. I wonder if it is the picture.

Last edited:
I don't know that I've ever seen a fox whose ears flop like that.

Can you afford a trap of some sort? and then have Fish and Game come take it elsewhere?

Although wait is it possible it could just have a short(er) coat cause it's summer? Although even then in that case I would still say it's sick and to shoot it.

Back
Top Bottom