FOX Problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cheeptrick, Jun 10, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've got a fox...he came 2 nights ago and we chased him off after he scared the dickens and chased one of our hens.
    Now he's digging around the RUN door where the chicken wire is NOT buried under the ground.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of him? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I have heard that stringing a hotwire and baiting it with a piece of hot dog works pretty well. Personally, I would hate to kill a fox, but I wouldn't have a problem trapping it in a humane trap and relocating it to a suitable area. Sorry, you are dealing with this, good luck. I just lost 2 hens to coyotes about 10 days ago. Hope you get it resolved.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    What is a hotwire?? Is this an electric fence?

I just read moth balls will deter them...but I think my chickens will try to eat them!!

I'm going to put a radio in the coop also at night to keep them away...

I want this FOX GONE... [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    A .22!? He will not stop coming until he gets a meal...then he will continue to come to get more meals!

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Quote:I hate to say it but they'r ecompletely right,i hate killing animals hawks wild cats, but i can't risk losing my animals to them so once they're on my property it's on!

6. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Contact these guys. http://www.nhtassoc.org/
    They
    can reccomend someone in your area to come and catch him. Most all states have a Trapping asscociation. I belong to the one here in VA and we are always getting calls from locals who need us to come and catch something. We usually have the time and equipment to come the same doy or the next. That fox will not leave. You can't run him off and he will get wise to the hot wire. Gotta trap him or shoot him.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Live trap and relocate or shoot it. Really no other choice unless you can protect that area from a digger.

8. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Not to start something, but where are you relocating it?

You're just giving the problem to the next guy.

There are plenty of foxes around and in most states if they are a nuisance they can be disposed of without repercussions.

9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:HEY THANKS...I got a call into the NH area trappers association director. I do not own a gun...not sure I want to with small children...but will think about it!! [​IMG]
    Looks like the trappers will use the fur!! I could trap him then call my neighbor who has a gun to do him in!! I'll keep you all updated. I'll have to look at snares, cages, etc I'll keep you all updated.

Thank you all for your tips. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by