Fox problem

aspen13

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015
Hi all,

This morning I was horrified to find 3/5 Isas dead not eaten/attacked 5/7 aras dead 3 had gone and 2 just the insides eaten and my sussex dead insides also eaten. Our 5 ducks haven't been eaten but are in a very shock state (also ducks were sitting and ALL eggs are gone).. I'm so devastated, am new to hatching and hatched all of the aras and sussex :(
We cannot figure out how the fox has gotten in our fences are 9ft with chicken wire 3ft deep. My guess is it's jumped onto something then jumped onto the roof of the shed which is only 6ft.
I'm wondering we live on a 6 acre property and own guns but the neighbours wouldn't appreciate us shooting a .22 so are there any alternative to killing this fox? Our dog was asleep inside last night so I gues he saw his opportunity...

So sorry! You need a safe predator proof coop, and lock the birds in every night. Many predators climb and dig under fencing, and your fox or whatever will return SOON! You can set live traps for your current predator, but only if you will shoot the varmints that you catch. Releasing elsewhere is a very bad idea, and illegal most places. Fortify your coop TODAY, and lock the birds inside at night at least. They may need to be in 24/7 until things are tighter, and the current culprit(s) are dead. Mary

The cage is ridiculously safe.... I am amazed at how he has gotten in... Can they scale 9ft chook wire fences? There is no holes and the chooks are locked in at night... I will definitely be shooting him thank you Mary I'm very disappointed, also our sheep are lambing so will do a stake out tonight..

A fox got into a wood stall and drug out my guinea. It was a very small space that it found to crawl under to get inside so they obviously don't need a big hole to get inside.

Sorry about your birds...I know how devastating it is. Just recently I lost 6 of my birds in a massacre. I'm still working on fixing my barn so they can go back outside, but they have been locked up solid for two weeks.

Last edited:
You sure you're dealing with a fox? Every chicken I've lost to a fox has simply disappeared (leaving only feathers behind). If you're sure it's a fox, fox are great climbers.

I'm in rural Victoria Australia so raccoons aren't an option ;)
Yes fairly certain it's a fox feathers everywhere we have lambs taken this time of year as well

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom