Fox problem

I used traps before and caught a few foxes. But the problem is they breed very fast and you can never catch them all. They will keep coming back. My best experience is to keep dogs close to the coop. And keep some geese around too, as geese will alert the dogs when fox approaches at night.

Every year around this time I have a few chicken come up missing to a fox. Just a few hours ago I lost my first chicken of the year to a fox. I did lock all the chickens up and will keep them locked up for now. I haven't had a fox in the coop yet and don't want it to happen. Do motion sensored lights help keep them away a night? I have to work tonight and thought about getting a few to put up in the morning if it will help. I do have 3 chicken friendly dogs that do a good job at keeping them out of the yard, but my coop is right next to the wood line. Any help would be great.
Every year around this time I have a few chicken come up missing to a fox. Just a few hours ago I lost my first chicken of the year to a fox. I did lock all the chickens up and will keep them locked up for now. I haven't had a fox in the coop yet and don't want it to happen. Do motion sensored lights help keep them away a night? I have to work tonight and thought about getting a few to put up in the morning if it will help. I do have 3 chicken friendly dogs that do a good job at keeping them out of the yard, but my coop is right next to the wood line. Any help would be great.

I will be honest I have not read all the posts in this thread. I do how ever have a suggestion that I know from personal experience works.
https://www.niteguard.com
This is a company that builds a solar powered red LED with a micro processor. It is photo sensitive so it comes on at dusk off at dawn. the way it works it flashes a red light making the potential predator think someones beat it there. the failing of previous models was they flashed the same pattern, so the animal in question learned it was fake. Hence the micro processor. No duplicate flashes.
I have recommended these to a local farmer who kept loosing sheep to coyotes and other local chicken keepers (small flock and small farm) and all have been very pleased. They do work. I will warn you at $20 a pop their not cheap but better than replacing our beloved animals.
The only draw back they have is they don't work on dogs. Hope this helps.

I used traps before and caught a few foxes. But the problem is they breed very fast and you can never catch them all. They will keep coming back. My best experience is to keep dogs close to the coop. And keep some geese around too, as geese will alert the dogs when fox approaches at night.
Foxes only breed once a year. While it’s not easy all of them can be caught.

I use the electric fence both at the top and bottom. When a fox comes within 300 yards of my ladies, I put out snares. Foxes are creatures of habit and will use the same game trails as the previous foxs before it. I set my snares and after a few days to a week, I've got my fox. If you don't get them out of the area, all of the rabbits, most of the squirrels, all of your chickens and/or ducks will disappear. A fox won't stop until all of the food source is gone and only then will they move on to another area leaving you with nothing. As far as I'm concerned, the only good fox is a dead fox.

Back
Top Bottom