Fox Problem

Mr chicken dude

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
VA
At around 4:00AM I heard the chickens going crazy so I go out to look and by chicken pen it had took a huge glob of feathers out of my mixed breed bantam that was sleeping against the cage and the wire was all bent and pulled out. I lost a Buff Orpington 2 days ago and thought it was a hawk or dog.

I had used a spotlight and shined it down into the field and saw it run into the woods.

I know I have fox I have a pic of it on my Game Camera.

Here's the pic.

44157_game_cam_008.jpg

Am I able to live trap it.

Last edited:
If you didn't see the predator and given your description of the wire being pulled out, I would be more inclined to think you culprit is a raccoon. They are notorious for pulling birds through the wire.

I had a fox issue about 2 years ago. It finally died of mange - thank, goodness. They are hard to trap and hard to shoot. I saw it attempt to get to my silkies at 4 p.m. one Sunday afternoon. Two weeks later it took one of my bantum hens. He pulled it through a chain link fence - again in the afternoon. My dogs are gentle around my chikens so the hen didn't move away from the cage wire quickly enough I guess.

Wild foxes tend to be wire shy so your best bet would be to set out a paw trap or snare. If you are set on a live trap use the really big ones (like for coyotes or bobcats) and disguise the wire well with pine branches or something similar.

if it is a grey fox they are easy to catch a red will be a little more of a challange google drift fencing for some intresting reading that should be able to get you started

I agree that foxes are naturally very shy and wary, but from my own experiences, and reading about others', they can get really bold. Some will chase a chicken right up onto the porch in broad daylight. The one that I trapped didn't think twice about crawling right into a small pet crate to try to grab Silkie hen that was in there (the hen wasn't harmed).

Back
Top Bottom