Fox problem

mamagardener

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Central Massachussetts
After 4 years of free ranging chickens every afternoon we now all of a sudden have a predator. Took 2 chickens and attacked my cat the past week. Animal control says I can trap and kill it. State law is if I trap It I have to kill it.

If I just keep my chickens in their run and coop will the fox eventually move on or is it here to stay? The first chicken we just found a pile of feathers, the second one was in broad daylight right in front of 2 kids. The definition they gave me was black with a big tail. I am thinking it was probably a grey fox.

What should I do? If I decide to trap what trap should I use?

I'm in the same boat. I have been out of work sick(mono) for a couple weeks and I have been free ranging my chickens for a year with no issues. Sure enough as I was napping when they were out, my brother yelled FOX! From the other room and we caught him taking his 6th chicken. Nothing but feather piles in the yard, he dropped my leghorn and she died a few minutes later. I put them all on lockdown and didn't let them out the rest of the day. Two days later, I let them out but supervised. The fox killed one not 20 feet away, right in front of me. He attacked in the middle of the day (3:00ish) both times. I haven't caught him yet, but because I still have another week of being out of work, I have been experimenting different ways to try and catch him.

I picked up a large live trap(set for a raccoon) and a smaller trap. I put the trap in a bushy area, near the first attack. I covered it with sticks, dirt, leaves and branches. I then sprayed it down completely with scent killer. I took the small trap, and put it behind the large one and did the same thing. I ended up using a small bantam cockerel that we are finding a new home for anyways, in the small trap. I made it so the only way you can see the chicken, is looking through the entrance of the large one. I baited that trap every night, rotating different cockerels so they wouldn't get too stressed. I didn't have any luck with that. I realized that the fox I'm after is probably too large for the trap I bought anyways, he is HUGE. I might rebait the trap, maybe just with raw chicken for a few nights and try that. The most important thing with catching a fox in a live trap is really fooling him. They are so smart, it's almost unbelievable. Some are more used to humans, some are really human shy. Either way, I would definitely get scent killer and spray the trap down, should you decide to trap it and make sure it looks "natural". If it looks anything like a trap, the fox is going to know.
The fox has now gone after my cat and has seemingly decided to call our place his new home. We're still trying to get him, and hopefully he comes around when I have my gun handy.

Trapping him is probably going to be your best bet. Although, it really isn't easy. It sounds your fox is like my fox, and isn't really afraid to come out during the day. If you want to trap him make sure to get a large trap. I've heard of one person catching a fox in a havahart trap, but I heard a lot of people not being able to. I just bought a generic metal trap from the feed store. You have to make sure he can't smell human scent on it and it doesn't look like a trap. You can get scent killer at any hunting store, and probably even Walmart in the outdoors section. It may take a while before he goes near or in the trap. Eventually he may get comfortable and let his guard down, he may not.
Do you have a plan once you catch the fox? Personally I would shoot it but that's okay if you don't want to do that. Fox have a territory of about a 10 mile diameter. That's just what he'll consider "his yard". He can easily go further than that. If you do decide to release him you'll have to drive him very far, 25miles+ far. They have a very strong homing instinct and it isnt too difficult for them to find their way back unfortunately. :/ the other thing is if it does come back, he'll know not to go in the trap again.
Another option is calling the DNR to take care of it once you catch it.
Good luck, I hope you catch him.

I haven't had any sightings of the fox in a little over a week. My neighbor said he saw a dead one on the side of the road. I really hope that's the one I had problems with.

Yayyy....hopefully my problem is solved! :)

Last edited:
I haven't seen her in a week and the other day I was coming home from work, and a few miles from home, there was a fox laying on the side of the road. I'm not sure if it is the same one but I hope my problem is over too.. I pulled over and unfortunately I couldn't salvage anything off the animal.
Strangely coincidental though..

Back
Top Bottom