Fox question

JackE

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 26, 2010
North Eastern Md.
I always assumed that the biggest worry, when it came to foxes, was the night. I found out the hard way this past Apr. that was a mistake. My question is, Are daytime fox attacks a big yearlong threat? Or, is it only in the springtime, When they have little ones to take care of, that we have to worry about daytime attacks? I had my first flock of chickens for almost a full year. They started freeranging Last Jun. They were allowed out in the morning, stayed out and did whatever they wanted. Then they went in at night and slept in total security. The biggest worry that I had during the day, was a stray dog showing up on the property, Or maybe a hawk. I gave some thought to the possibility of a daytime fox attack. But I never thought that the fox would kill practically every chicken I had. I have 18 new birds now. I've been letting them out late in the afternoon, after I get home from work, so I can somewhat watch after them. So, do you think it's safer, after the spring has passed, for the birds to freerange again? Or, is the threat of another total wipeout a yearlong problem as far as foxes go?
Thanks, Jack

Mainly in the spring when they are raising young, and again in the winter when food gets scarce.

I will add that when most predators find a food supply, they dont forget and they will repeat their trips until the supply is gone...

Last edited:
Hey Y'all,
I live in the country and I know there are predators out there, but I don't see themn much. I have apretty secure run and coop, but I also have invested in these Solar Nite eyes to repel predators. Here's a link where you can read more about them. If you decide to order them, tell them you saw their ad in GRIT's Backyard Chickens mag for a discount. http://www.solarniteeyes.com/

They will steal the bird, almost right out of your hand, at high noon! Keeping your fence tight and skirted is the way to stop them short of trapping and shooting or running electric fence

Last edited:
It was rare to see a fox or coyote right around the house...until I got chickens. The first week, I saw a fox or coyote almost every night. Just be vigilant.

A fox killed both my male Pekin ducks at 9:30 in the morning!! just outside my barn. Saw it but I didn't have my rifle.
barnie.gif

I thought they only came hunting pre dawn...WRONG.

I've lost 2 ducks and 2 pullets. They've all been taken in the early afternoon. Lost the most recent one just this afternoon about an hour after I let them out of the coop.
somad.gif
somad.gif
He came with in 10-15 yards of the house to get her even with the dogs out. This time I saw it but couldn't get a good shot.

So I guess the answer is yes, the danger of a fox attack is a 24hr threat. I guess I was lucky last year, until the fox discovered the chickens. What really makes it bad, is that they don't kill just one, They will totally wipe you out. It's a shame really, got all this room for the birds to roam and now Ill have to think about building a pen to keep them safe in the day when nobody is home.
Jack

The attacks I had while building fence in the past was a bird at a time, guess they like them fresh. They would race thru, grab and run. If you can startle them enough, they will drop the bird to run faster and the bird is usually fine but the fox will come back and try again till the supply runs out. The three I shot in one season were returning for another bird and trying to find a way in past the fence and skirt. Yes, they are more active when there are little ones to feed but will hunt year around. A good fence with a skirt (they are diggers) usually stops them cold! Neighbors who shoot rather than shoos is nice to have too!

I don't know that I have ever lost a chicken to a fox at night (possibly one that decided it would be fun to camp out in the yard rather than the coop). I have lost them during daylight hours, various times of the day when they were free ranging. 3 of those times were witnessed. Yes they are worse during the time they have young but my most recent loss was today and since I am considerably south of you I would think there is no way it would be safe for your flock even if they just come at that time.

Back
Top Bottom