Fox Stress??

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hey peeps. I was wondering if I could get some clarification about my hen, Dottie's condition.
About a month ago we had a fox come in and take our rooster and 3 hens. My heart sank. Dottie, a golden laced wyandotte and her sister Blanche (both 3 yrs old) were grabbed and lost a few feathers but were not noticeably injured, along with another 4 that weren't even touched.
Since then I have purchased 4' electric fence and keep my eye on them daily. The fox keeps coming back so we have scared it away with us and our dogs. Soon we are going to get 8' deer fencing (the stuff we want has 1" openings), and have a 2' apron around our entire 1/4 acre chicken area. We are also thinking of getting 3 strands of electric fence on the outside of that.
Since the fox attack Dottie has had a sneeze. I treated her with honey, thieves oil and oregano oil, but that did nothing. I listened to her lungs and it doesn't seem to be in them at all. She breathes normally, no gasping. And 1 month of sneezing would def be a long time for an illness to show up. My coop is cleaned everyday. It has shavings in one half over concrete, and course sand in the other half (we need the sand because it's so damp in that area). I have been thinking of oiling the sand but have no idea how that would do for the feathers. Although I do have friends with horses and chickens and they oil their arena sand and the chickens bath in there and seem to do well.
She also hasn't laid an egg now in about 5 days. Her comb and wattle are bright red. I picked her up and chatted with her and she seemed to enjoy the company because she hopped off happily after a few minutes and started to eat a bit.
I'm thinking the sneezing is from the stress from the fox attack and the egg laying issue might be because she's broody. My understanding is that wyandottes can be broody. She's never been noticeably broody before, so this is why I'm wondering. But...before she stopped laying she would lay on her egg until we came and got it. So...
She also isn't eating much at all. If I go out with goodies then her appetite is great. I see her picking through the grass and eating from the feeders, but when I check her crop, it's empty. 🤷‍♀️ I can feel her keel a bit but she's active and 3 now so I expect it to be a bit noticeable. Or should I? I'm not sure.
I'm thinking of giving her some vitamin B to see if she needs this to help her get over the shock.
So my question is: Do you guys think that what I've mentioned above are symptoms to one issue? Or do you feel the sneezing is from stress and the not eating much and empty crop are from being broody? And is it a good idea to give her some vitamin B? I could give it to everyone if it safely boosts their immune.
Please let me know what you guys think. I thank you all so very much. Hopefully this isn't too wordy. Lol. ❤

A few pics for good measure. Lol. Both of these are of Dottie. I have a video loading as well that I will share here later.

Attachments

• 20200427_151200.jpg
    20200427_151200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200427_151128.jpg
    20200427_151128.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 3
My guess is the stress is affecting egg production. Have no idea about the sneezing, though.

Ya it definitely was stress. She's back to laying again. Thank you for responding. We put black landscaping cloth up on the fence. So the chickens can't see out and the fox can't see in as easily. And things seem to be going well. 😊

Back
Top Bottom