Fox Tormenting Chickens during daytime

I wouldn't poison rodents with chickens around. Even if you keep the chickens directly out it mice and rats can ingest it then die in the coop. Chickens will eat a dead rodent if they can get to it. You just also poisoned your own birds.

Don't bother shooting a fox with a bb gun. If you don't have anything big enough to kill it with one shot your wasting your time. If foxes are a game or fur bearing animal in your area unless you have a hunting license you best not trap or shoot at it. Some areas have laws in place where you can take predators if they are bothering livestock. Some areas you still have to have a nuisance animal permit (free permit in my state). Check your local laws and cover your butt before you do something and possibly end up with a bunch of fines.

Some places have animal removal services. I know in Texas you can call the parks and wildlife then they will send a licensed trapper out to remove the animal free of charge. Some areas oof Arkansas you call the game and fish dept and they send somebody out.

So, I can't shoot the fox with anything but a pellet gun because I live in town. There are also MANY other foxes to replace that one (I've seen at least four different ones in my yard quite frequently.) They do seem to have stopped harassing the chickens as much, not like when I first put the coop out.

The observations about rodents have made me realize that we have so many foxes because we have so many chipmunks! They are a never-ending problem, but I will do more to control the population.

I like the idea of electric fencing, but my husband has a ham radio and multiple antennae in that area, so there would be too much interference.

Thanks for all of the comments! I hope the initial poster got some answers, too... didn't mean to hijack your thread!

So, I can't shoot the fox with anything but a pellet gun because I live in town. There are also MANY other foxes to replace that one (I've seen at least four different ones in my yard quite frequently.) They do seem to have stopped harassing the chickens as much, not like when I first put the coop out.

The observations about rodents have made me realize that we have so many foxes because we have so many chipmunks! They are a never-ending problem, but I will do more to control the population.

I like the idea of electric fencing, but my husband has a ham radio and multiple antennae in that area, so there would be too much interference.

Thanks for all of the comments! I hope the initial poster got some answers, too... didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Buy a .22 suppressor.
$600.00 and a ~250 day wait.
Buy a inexpensive bolt action rifle (they are the quitest).

I can shoot mine in the back yard if I wanted, and the wife in the living room (20 feet away) could not near it.

Back
Top Bottom