Fox visits Eggtopia....

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Too bad for him. The girls are spending their second night in the Keep of Eggtopia and I hear the major ruckus from the house. So, this is what unfolds...

I grab a flashlight and a pistol and head for the coop area. My girls who had been raising all sorts of stuff are now pretty much silent except for their normal occasional soft singing. So, I speed up the pace and as to get the run, I hear scuffling in the rear of the coop so I take off up the left side and peek inside the window...all girls are okay and nothing is in there with them, so I move towards to back of the coop. All sorts of heck starts breaking loose. I run around the back and up the right side of the coop and look...nothing. So I move around the run area and...

Needless to say I know that my heart worls just fine.
gig.gif
I start shining the flashlight around and here, about 5 feet from me, Mr. Fox. Cornered under the coop which now has chicken wire blocking his escape on three sides and me on the fourth.

Suffice it to say that Mr. Fox is no longer with us but coop security is impressed. That little furry thing tried every place possible looking for a way in and to no avail. He left his marks scratch marks near the exterior door, under one window and near the Pop door. My girls are safe and sound...a bit startled by a 9 mm going off in the dead of night right beside them, but safe.

Yay for pre-planning, building a safe coop and 1 predator gone. Now we will see if the coop withstands Mr. Raccoon, Mr. Fisher, Mr. Cougar and Mr. Oppossum.
smile.png

Have I mentioned I have not slept more than an hour at a time since the girls went in the coop Friday night at 7 pm?
lau.gif

Time for a nap.
smile.png

Last edited:
You obviously did a good job of predator proofing your pen. Nice job protecting your girls, too.

Chel

Thanks. DH was surprised when he heard the shot and I am coming towards him (I am sure mumbling to myself about how dare you try to eat my girls) dragging it by the tail. All the poor man could say was "Feel better? Good enough to sleep a few hours?". He just does not understand....them in the coop is like waiting for my kid to come home from a first date.

9mm might be a bit light for a fox don't you think;) just proddin you. Sounds like your coup security is good and you stepped up when you had to. Good for you. Keystonepaul

Quote:
Well now, initially I reached for the AK-47 but I could not locate the loaded drum for it...ya know, just in case it was a mutant fox. So, alas I ended up grabbing the lighter weapon.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I have 8mm 1944 Mauser rifle that will wake the dead, deaden what needs to be deadened
wink.png
. The neighbors don't even ask anymore. I prefer not to kill, but if I have to, I have to.

you go girl! Glad to hear you got Mr. Fox!

my ducks are sleeping in their coop for the first time tonight!
I think it is secure and will be heartbroken if it isnt!

Back
Top Bottom