Fox?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ShadowRooster, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    We have had free-range chickens for three years, and never lost one to a fox. Our dogs scare them away. Out dog wont go into the cow fencing, and the fox found that out. He only takes white chickens, even though all the chickens sttay near eath other, the fox only takes one, and leaves no feathers. He never takes roosters. We have seen the fox, and tryed to shoot him, but is this an odd fox? We have no white chickens left and he has not come for months. Why only white? no feathers? only one at a time? [​IMG]

2. IDK, but to me it sounds like a 2 legged predator that is building up a white flock of chickens. [​IMG] Good luck catching the thief whether it's 2 or 4 legged.

3. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    fox might be half blind and white ones is all he can see . most of the time one is all they can carry. please forgive me if I overstate the obvious [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. theFox

theFox Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    White chickens stand out much more than most other chickens which makes them an obvious target.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    ditto on everything said.....also, foxes are very sly so good luck at getting it.

6. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    he eat all the white ones.. and wouldent he now go after darker ones? have not seen him for two months...

7. yelim

yelim Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Get another white chicken and see how long he lasts. I wouldn't spend much on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by