Fox!

NancyP1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Upstate NY
Just finally got a shot at a red fox and missed! Crap! I wonder if it will be back. I have been watching for it for a few days now. My good neighbor called me a few days ago and told me it was stalking my guineas. I saw it yesterday, but by the time I got the gun, it was gone. Took the gun out for chores this morning, no fox. Came in froze, was running my hands under some warm water, looking out the kitchen window and there it was! Man, can't believe I missed! Now I wonder if it will be back. Anybody think its gone, or will it be back? I reloaded, just in case.

That stinks! I had one this AM about 15ft from me running right at me chasing the girls,could have killed with a slingshot. But alas the only weapon I had was my boots. He even ran down the driveway and stood there taunting me for like 45 seconds giving me the "you screwed me out of breakfast stink eye". Got a surprise for him next time.

Odds are the fox comes through a couple days or so at least but may not as of yet taken to include poultry on its menu. Eventually it will give poultry a go and visits will be specifically for them. If your birds are like most and refuge from fox attack is lacking, the fox will get a meal or two and potentially consume entire flock. Guinees in my experience are more resistant to fox attack owing to flying ability but juveniles will be a continued high risk. Shooting / trapping fox will give temporary repreive from losses to fox or you can use the usual containment of birds in secure coop / run. My fox management system involves use of dog and having elevated locations birds can fly to. Chickens fly up and give alarm and dog quickly comes over to investigate. In many ways it is like cartoon relationship between scrawny technology oriented wolf and big brutish English sheep dog where predator is constantly trying to make catch but dog stops most of time.

Well I guess I will start doing chores with the 25.20 every morning now for a while! Hope he shows his taunting little face here again soon!

I've lost 9 chickens to the local fox clan so far this year. They got over my 5 1/2' high fence and got in the coop which I had unwisely gotten used to leaving open.

Today I finished an extension to the fence. It's now about 8' high. I hope it works.

I've lost 9 chickens to the local fox clan so far this year. They got over my 5 1/2' high fence and got in the coop which I had unwisely gotten used to leaving open.

Today I finished an extension to the fence. It's now about 8' high. I hope it works.

How do they get over a 5.5' fence?

Back
Top Bottom