Fox!

Even reds can clamber up a post or tight fence. City foxes can excell at getting over fences taller than my head is high by running at it jumping and taking a few steps up vertical surface.

yea I have seen reds climb a log but a grey will go straight up a tree like it aint nothing that is why the "fox pens" want reds and not greys the "hunt" is over as soon as a grey goes up a tree :)

Well, I have been doing chores with the rifle for the past 2 mornings, haven't seen him. Still pretty sure it's around though. I guess I will just have to keep a sharp eye out for it.

We have or had a red fox or two. We have someone out trapping them for us. It has gotten 4 of my chickens. If inside I always sit next to a window and listen for any noises. They sometimes don't show up for weeks and then out of nowhere they show up. Don't let your gaurd down!

No, I figure it will be back. I didn't see it yesterday or today and I am now always looking. My stepson brought me his .22 with a scope to use. Hopefully now I won't miss the next time I get a shot!

A fox just took one of my hens this morning. I'm so darn mad! The same fox attempted to get one of the hens a few days ago and almost did, but my husband scared him away just in time. The fox dropped the hen it was trying to take and she turned out to be just fine. So what happened this morning?! The fox came back, my husband saw it, chased it away and went back into the house......so the fox waited a few minutes and then came back and took a hen.....Needless to say I'm a upset at the fox AND my husband....When he called to tell me the fox was back in the yard, I told him to get the girls back in the coop.....but he didn't and the fox got what it wanted....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I lost 21 of my 33 chickens yesterday to what I think must be a fox or multiple fox. I only found 4 of the 21. I'm going to try to trap it and hopefully that will help. I cant imagine not letting the chickens out to free range. They were pretty traumatized this morning and wouldn't come out of the coop into the run. Poor things! I have one chick left and it was peeping for its mama.

Aw, that stinks. I have not seen the one here at all. Maybe I did hit him. Kinda hope so. Good luck, hope you get it.

I've been keeping my chickens penned up during the day after some losses last week (some to dogs, some to unknown.... now I think fox.) I came home from work and let them out to free range in the yard. Just as I was sitting down inside I saw a fox RIGHT OUTSIDE THE WINDOW. It ran past my front door. I was out the door in a flash and saw it tangling with my heroic rooster, Lasso. I screamed; it turned and looked at me for several seconds before running off into the woods. I've never seen such a fat, fluffy healthy looking fox. I guess it is thriving on chicken meat.

But now I don't even feel I can let them free-range while I am here. I don't think it would have been deterred if I had been standing out with the birds. These guys are BOLD.

Not sure what to do though.... I don't have a gun (and don't want to shoot my birds by accident.) A trap would probably just catch my dog.

That game-cam I ordered can't get here soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom