Fox!!!

Aloutsis

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Ripon, CA
I have a fox ( San Joaquin Kit Fox ) that comes into my yard. Does anyone have any tips on how to protect my hens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hot wire. You have the right to protect your stock. But since it's endangered I wouldn't kill it.... I usually shoot foxes or possums and racoons... But I would trap it and release far from your house but he is likely to come back and do it again. So get a hot wire and reenforce your coop or whatever you hose them in.

As a licensed trapper in California I urge you to check with Fish and Wildlife (formally fish and game), about your rights with the San Joaquin kit fox, as it is an endangered species and the fines for messing with or moving one are unfairly large. Under California law it is illegal to trap an animal and let it go off the property it was trapped on. (Fish and wildlife may be willing to relocate the fox, please check with them, all i know is i can't touch one) I would sugust Hotwire around the bottom of the chicken coop and run, as well as laying gopher wire in the ground around the coop and pen to keep out the kit foxes, as they are real diggers.

As a licensed trapper in California I urge you to check with Fish and Wildlife (formally fish and game), about your rights with the San Joaquin kit fox, as it is an endangered species and the fines for messing with or moving one are unfairly large. Under California law it is illegal to trap an animal and let it go off the property it was trapped on. (Fish and wildlife may be willing to relocate the fox, please check with them, all i know is i can't touch one) I would sugust Hotwire around the bottom of the chicken coop and run, as well as laying gopher wire in the ground around the coop and pen to keep out the kit foxes, as they are real diggers.

What is gopher wire?

What we call gopher wire is 1/4 inch wire mesh used for protecting plants from gophers. It's galvanized steel and I've found that it deters larger predators better then chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom