Fox!!!

CoopedUpChicken

Chirping
May 20, 2015
We have one free range hen who was here before us. She roosts in the tree by the coop I just built. At 6:30 am this morning she did her alarm call - and I went outside and there was a fox right next to the coop! It saw me and ran back into the woods!!!

I build my coop and pen by myself - it's 10 x 12 made with 2x4s and 1/2" hardware cloth on top, bottom and sides. I learned a lot about construction and I'm glad that I made it a super fortress! I am in no mood for foxes eating them up :)

My question:

I now put all of the chicks out there and they are getting along for the most part - they are doing the henpecking a bit, but seemed pretty calm for most of the day. They went to roost and the silkies stayed on the floor of the coop (sand) under the roosting chicks. They are inevitably going to be pooped on. I want to do a tray underneath some time this week - but in the meantime, will they figure it out (that if they sleep under roosting chicks that they will get pooped on)? Will they start sleeping elsewhere? Do silkies roost at all - I have an 8" wide ramp with steps that are 2" apart from one another.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom