Foxes are getting rediculous*good update*

Malbri

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Bowdoin
Last year when I only had one chicken, I literally walked out and saw a fox chasing her. I ran it off, and it came back many times that day. He didnt end up getting my chicken, but did injure her and scare me.
Then, a couple months ago, I woke up to my dog barking and heard a chicken screaming bloody murder. I went out, something had a hold of her leg, I chased it off, cleaned her up, but she ended up dying of internal bleeding.
So I made plans for a really predator proof run, a nice big one. I bought all the wood and we planning on starting it monday(not soon enough, but my dad refused to help because the chickens are supposed to be "my thing" so I had to wait for my aunt to help.) Well, plans changed and I got dragged into camping. I just got home last night and had not yet gone out to see my chickens. I let them freerange on sunday, because my parents were going to be home all day and they needed some fresh air. This morning my mom told me the fox made a visit, and left me with 4 chickens less.
He took my 2 show chickens, some young silkies I bought for 40 dollars.

One of next years show chickens, a black turken

And mom isnt sure who the other one was.

Last edited:
:| Malbri, you could look online for how to build a leg hold trap to catch the varmit. Or you could live trap it and haul it away somewhere. I am sorry for your loss. make sure you set the 1/2 inch wire netting in a trench curving out towards the yard outside the fence if you put in a fence. this will discourage animals trying to dig under the fence. Most animals go right up to the fence and start to dig under it......they wont get far when they hit the wire netting will they?. mary-kay

VULTURE IS BACK! I came home and saw there was a black naked neck in the run, and I ran up to see if it really was, and there was vulture! Mom found her in the tall grass eatin bugs

smile.png
Wonderful!!! I am glad.
smile.png

Quote:
hello ,Dear chicken's owner and friend,the best soloution for me was last year is getting a 22 rifel with scope and I killed about 5 foxes and this year thanks God I did not see any,but if they come I will be ready to welcome them with open fire.it might sounds unfriendly but I seware I don't know any other way to get red of a fox for good.

Here's what happens when i know there is a fox coming around my farm or what have you
Last year i caught about 11 reds in the general area of my farm..

first2008red004.jpg

Get some good leg traps (if legal in your state)and learne how to use them..best method to catch these guys..They are always on guard when we cannot be, walk around your general area and look for signs of these critters, the interenet has lots of good info on tracks of different critters and other visable signs of them. Just cause you dont see the critters moving about during the day doesnt mean they arent there..Most hunt by night, but when an easy meal is to be had they will take it.

Remember to set traps as far back away from your chickens as possible. You dont want them to get caught in these traps, they will brake a chickens leg. Our chickens only range so far, so i set about 50-100ft past there normal range area, that way im sure not to catch a chicken.

if you ever need a ,just look at your local hunting and fishing clubs in your area and ask there as there are bound to be trappers belonging to those clubs, most would gladly help you out..

Charlie

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your babies, that is a main danger with free ranging i have mine penned all the time cause there a numerous preds around. i put mine in a dog kennel with chick wire around that plus a top and have never had a prob. many people who free range lose great birds. i would suggest that you keep them penned. and please dont use a leg hold trap if you are going to trap the fox use a live trap and relocate. the fox are just doing what they do best. true its a pain but its even worse if they are in a leg hold trap screaming and drawing more preds around and thats not a good thing.

simba49450 live trap and relocate is illegal in Pa and i would surely turn you in here if i knew you where doing it here around my area..You better check your laws where you live.

Plus you give others your problems, best bet is to put them down right inside the live-trap with a gun..

also you will never get a smart red fox into a live trap..coons yes..

charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom