1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

foxes, rabies and eggs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by merryreader, May 7, 2007.

1. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens came into contact with a fox 3 days ago. The 2 I found alive had direct enough contact, maybe bites(didn't see any), but 1 was in his mouth. Most likely the fox was feeding babies, but what if?? He could have been carrying rabies . Would that transmit to the eggs. Would you guys eat them? Maybe I'm being too cautious. The fox looked healthy. Merry

2. merryreader

Tissues or milk from a rabid animal should not be used for human or animal consumption. However, pasteurization and cooking temperatures will inactivate rabies virus. Therefore, drinking pasteurized milk or eating cooked meat from a rabid animal does not constitute a rabies exposure, should it inadvertently occur.

Livestock bitten by a known or suspect rabid animal may be slaughtered within 7 days of the bite, provided that liberal portions of the exposed area are discarded. Under federal guidelines, animals presented for slaughter greater than 7 days and less than 8 months after exposure to a known or suspect rabid animal are rejected for slaughter.

I think I answered my own question. Merry

3. merryreader

Management of the Biting Animal, Animal Bites and Rabies Risk ...Animal Bites and Rabies Risk: A Guide for Health Professionals. on this page: Bites to Humans Bites to Animals Food Safety ...
    www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/rabies/animal.html - Similar pages
    This is where I got that info from. Merry

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    My understanding of rabies is that it is only mammals that can get rabies. Chickens being birds shouldn't be affected unless I'm very much mistaken.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Birds can't get rabies...
    I'd be more worried that the birds would get an infection.
    Good luck Merry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by