Possible Fox predator situation

My very first year with chickens I started out with junglefowl, games and RIR. During the first year foxes wiped out half of my RIR, however the survivors were the intelligent ones. They learned to copy the games and get high into trees at night. Since then every chicken I've ever had has learned from them. Even the Brahma roost 10 feet up

I still have RIR running around outside from my original flock, despite the foxes that live here
View attachment 3763893
Again you have game fowl in your flock and in their bloodlines .To broadly state domestic chickens can escape a fox ( or pair with kits) doesn't begin the describe the mayhem it could cause

One afternoon I watched the chickens on the lawn foraging. One buff Orpington walked up to another buff Orpington (same color) and grabbed it. Being quick thinking, I realized that one of them was a fox!

A dozen chickens on the lawn and none of them reacted to the presence of a fox. I have also seen them completely ignore a raccoon.

P. S. I ran after the fox with a mop in my hand and it dropped the chicken.

Again you have game fowl in your flock and in their bloodlines .To broadly state domestic chickens can escape a fox ( or pair with kits) doesn't begin the describe the mayhem it could cause
That's a reasonable statement. I'm simply trying to show that there are alternative options available if people have a suitable environment and make proper investments

If I used a coop my chickens would probably all be dead right now. A weasel, possum, racoon, fox or feral dog would have broken in eventually

My chicken run was built out of heavy duty pallets around the sides to prevent coyotes or dogs tearing the wire loose. Everything's covered in 1/2" hardware cloth top to bottom with an apron around it to prevent diggers. Foxes,coons, bob cats,rats,snakes or weasels all kill chickens but I haven't lost a single one nor have I had to trap or kill any predators.Trees only protect chickens that can see well enough to fly to another tree when something disturbs them on the roost.They're defenseless against bob cats .We had chickens roosting in trees growing up

Attachments

• 20230605_150740~3.jpg
    20230605_150740~3.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 2
My chicken run was built out of heavy duty pallets around the sides to prevent coyotes or dogs tearing the wire loose. Everything's covered in 1/2" hardware cloth top to bottom with an apron around it to prevent diggers. Foxes,coons, bob cats,rats,snakes or weasels all kill chickens but I haven't lost a single one nor have I had to trap or kill any predators.Trees only protect chickens that can see well enough to fly to another tree when something disturbs them on the roost.They're defenseless against bob cats .We had chickens roosting in trees growing up
Bobcats are the one predator I suspect may be a legitimate danger, due to their intelligence, agility and stealth. Though I suspect they'll avoid any land where dogs are present

I wonder how RJF survive Asian wild cats. Maybe it's the bamboo they roost on

One afternoon I watched the chickens on the lawn foraging. One buff Orpington walked up to another buff Orpington (same color) and grabbed it. Being quick thinking, I realized that one of them was a fox!

A dozen chickens on the lawn and none of them reacted to the presence of a fox. I have also seen them completely ignore a raccoon.

P. S. I ran after the fox with a mop in my hand and it dropped the chicken.

Bobcats are the one predator I suspect may be a legitimate danger, due to their intelligence, agility and stealth. Though I suspect they'll avoid any land where dogs are present

I wonder how RJF survive Asian wild cats. Maybe it's the bamboo they roost on
Our dogs love our cats and chickens will give alerts to everything except a bob cat. Apparently they smell like domestic cats and our neighborhood is full of strays too

I’ve had my chickens for nearly 3 years. Added 4 more to the 4 original last in May/June when their feathers grew in. I found that 2 chickens were missing the other night. Instead of being sleeping in the coop, they slept on top of the coop a lot this winter. I just thought they didn’t like it or the new and old weren’t getting along. The old ones weren’t sleeping in the coop either. No sign of disturbance. Found feathers under the fence of my biggest chicken.
From my experience I have never found feathers any near my yard after a fox attack. i watched one on my camera snatch and run. the next day i went stomping in the woods and could not find anything but feathers in a dried up creek bed. no den in sight.
Buff Brahma. This girl was the biggest chicken I had and laid massive eggs. We found more feathers on the other side of the fence and it led under the neighbors shed. There were a bunch of eggs shells under there and some whole ones. Also, more feathers of the Buff Brahma scattered all over. We can’t see any carcass anywhere, just feathers.
ive read that fox will eat down a hill within sight of the den so that they wont lead predators to their front door. ive also read they will not hunt during the cold season unless they are desperate, they will hoard food in chambers inside their den.
Neighbor said he saw a fox a few days ago in his front yard. My Rhode Island Red is completely missing. A few feathers on the other side of the fence but barely any compared to the other one. The den is big enough where I could crawl under there. Any size animal could fit including a coyote. We live in a more residential area but they have just cleared acres upon acres of land/woods to build developments down the road. I’m assuming this animal got displaced.
yes this fox is out of his element and has found your flock to feast upon. Not trying to be negative but he will keep coming back.
This also happened when I was collecting eggs more often. It happened in the middle of the night as well. Approximately 12:30am. The fence was broken, some were wet (assuming from the pool), and came up to the back door screaming. They threw themselves at the back door to alert us. Any thoughts on what jerk animal did this?
If your neighbor stopped a fox it was more than likely a fox. Raccons and possum will consume the carcass, or at least some of it as soon as they bite into it. on my security camera that fox snatched and ran.
Also neighbors are cool…so any advice on how to remove the animal without hurting it. I know, I know….it killed my chickens but I can’t kill a living animal. We do have a trap we can put eggs in that would fit a fox. 3 years and first problem :(
Call the game warden...See if you can have it removed. Tell them your worried its RABId

Back
Top Bottom