Foxes

If you have lots of them and or other predators ,the only solutions for not losing any are a strong fence and run or letting them out supervised.

We have a fox proof pen for when the ducks are away at night and such, but generally foxes don't come in during the day often at all because of neighbours, neighbours' dogs, my own dog leaves a sent around our farm that I believe would be threatening to a fox, supervision -- foxes are incredibly cunning and smart, but they are also pretty cautious. Also if the fox problem increases or they become a little too cocky/arrogant for our liking, they'll be hunted and killed
smile.png

Foxes aren't native here, so the more killed the better!

If your worried, stay with your muscovies, I'm sure a fox won't cross paths with you

I think i will have a look at the electric fencing that i can move around. They look effective, hope a fox wont try to dig under it should it pass by.

Quote:
It becomes even more effective when you have an LGD on the inside of the fence. The option of jumping over the fence to get at the ducks becomes tantamount to suicide.

Please note that muscovies under four weeks of age can easily go through the fence.

This was last year when she was about six months old.

70871_lgdbehindfence.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
While I too have a rifle and trap, I find that using a LGD inside an electric fence as a deterrent works very well. It allows the foxes, coyotes and other predators to remain in the area, and this is important because they eat weasels and field mice. Personally, I fear the weasel more than the fox.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom