foxes

Nearly every fox shot here, was retired during the two hour, or so, free range time in the evenings on those days when our schedules allow for such. The one that hopped out of the empty plastic dog house we had on the front deck (guess it decided to nap there) when we were leaving, early one morning, would have survived had it not sauntered away about 15 ft. from us and then stopped and looked us over. Snaring the individuals in the winter allows for entry of less `informed' individuals to take up temp. residence in the Spring.

Many of the folks in this area, who still breed sheep, hire hunters to search Fox out, hither and yon.

If preds are not here on this property, I'll rely on the motoring public instead of wasting bullets. I hunt down references, I simply retire poultry killing vermin.

Oh man!!! I have never heard of electrified poultry netting! that is awesome! Does it work against bears? We are trying electric fencing but it it doesn't work, I need options.... this sounds promising
celebrate.gif

It's not that difficult to keep chickens safe from foxes while in a pen/coop. It's the free ranging chickens part that requires the killing, however this is not for enjoyment. Now the trapping I do in the winter for fur I do enjoy.

You can keep birds free-range with minimal losses to foxes. I do nearly year round. Combination of fencing / netting and dogs keeps foxes at bay very well. We loose a chicken once in a while and also get fox once in a while but chickens well within tolerable range.

You can keep birds free-range with minimal losses to foxes. I do nearly year round. Combination of fencing / netting and dogs keeps foxes at bay very well. We loose a chicken once in a while and also get fox once in a while but chickens well within tolerable range.
I'm guessing your `fields of fire' are somewhat more expansive ;) Have yet to lose any poultry to a fox; one Gold Sex Link pullet did require 4 stitches from being grabbed up, but the fox couldn't get through a Gooseberry/Poison Ivy `thicket' fast enough and dropped her, this was how I learned that a Red Fox gone `blood simple' just has to come back after a bit.

Last edited:
I'm guessing your `fields of fire' are somewhat more expansive ;) Have yet to lose any poultry to a fox; one Gold Sex Link pullet did require 4 stitches from being grabbed up, but the fox couldn't get through a Gooseberry/Poison Ivy `thicket' fast enough and dropped her, this was how I learned that a Red Fox gone `blood simple' just has to come back after a bit.
Where in the Solar System are you that a place looking like you have that is not crawling with foxes, red and gray? I do not have but just under 20 acres so battle front includes neighbors' areas as well. Here we are a boundary area between prairie and woodland that is primo habitat for red fox and when you get into the heavier bush the gray foxes are not hard to find. I am up now because dogs came back in telling me a fox or something was messing around neighbor's poultry yard. Besides my dogs, my best buddies against foxes are the coyotes. When coyotes are near, then foxes stay clear and at least coyotes will respect scent marks left by my dogs

I remember years ago reading this forum and thinking to myself that I'm lucky to not have any problems with fox or raccoons. That day came and it's been a constant challenge ever since. The worst part about foxes like was said earlier is that they will alter their schedule to avoid you. I leave for work about 3-4 am. My wife lets the chickens out to free range around 6 am or so before she leaves for work. This time frame is the worst for foxes. The hour or so around dawn is when they are most active. Lock up the birds for a few days and fox is seemingly gone. Go back to free ranging and he shows back up. I have killed fox and raccoons at night and at 1pm. You never know. Rest assured when you kill one another will take its place within a year. Round and round we go.

very interesting thread. two weeks ago we had a fox strike in broad daylight in a rain storm around 4:00 in the afternoon. two ducks got bit. we managed to chase the foxes off long enough to round up all the birds and get the gun out. my son took a shot at one but it ran away( 90 yard shot). in the mean time since the attack I have been busy building the pen from Jurasic park. its like a duck fortress. 6 foot none stomp-able horse fence I salvaged down the street for the back side then 2 more rolls of 5' non stomp for the front side. it ended up being 70' wide by 170' long. plus it has trees and shrubs for shade. its way closer to the house as well. the two injured ducks did well with meds and keeping them quiet in the barn in dog cages for about 10 days. the one was in real bad shape. I think he was bit in his crop. it looked bad for him while he healed. I had to hold his head in the water to let him drink. took about 6 days before he could drink on his own. my wife fed them Gatorade and pureed peas and stuff to get them to eat. all are well now and being prudes like they usually are.

I caught a fox yesterday about 10am with one of our ducks in it's mouth. We have lost 4 birds (2 ducks and 2 chickens) in the past 4 weeks, it just looked at me as if saying hey I got one of your birds, whatya gonna do about it. I yelled at it and it dropped the duck, but came right back and picked it up again, ran off with it under the fence, I ran after it, it dropped the duck again, I kept yelling at it, but it stood it's ground I thought about going to the barn to get something to throw at it, but knew if I did, i would lose the duck,, Luckily 2 of our dogs came running and chased the fox off, duck ran to the barn, limping a little but seemed ok. I went back to cleaning stalls and when I went to dump the bucket, the fox was back coming back under the fence appx. 15 ft from the barn door, dog ran it off again, but later when I went to check on the animals I saw a bunch of white feathers all over and was missing another chicken. we use our animals for part of our petting zoo., so we need to do something about this fox fast. So was wondering if that electric fencing stuff works well and if so where can we get some. thanks

That's a pretty bold fox. I'd recommend shooting it if u can. He'll keep coming back until all your birds are gone. A .22 cal rifle and bullets are far cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom