FPC Annual Winter Poultry Show - February 12, 2011

Thank you so much for posting this! I am new to chickens, and Morganton, so I can't wait to go to my first show. In my new home town no less! Any idea when the spring show will be. I want to pick up a few birds, but I was hoping to wait till spring. Looking for Welsummers or Marans. Or an Ameraucana or two.

Quote:
This is considered their spring show, they will have another one come around October. Hope to see you there!
smile.png

Quote:
We won't really know about the building till the weekend before the show when we show up to set up. Right now we are scheduled for the heated building, but if a full price party comes along we get bumped back to the Livestock building. Basically we get the heated building for less then half the normal price as long as there is nothing else in there. Let's just hope it is dry weather before then so we can get the equipment out of the storage trailor. The mud is why the show was pushed to April last year and resulted in a half size show.

The judges are Troy Laroche and Paul Monteith. Both are from Canada. They judge together all the time in shows with their APA/ABA certifications. These judges have never seen the birds here, so they should have a completely new eye for everything. Sometimes it seems you keep seeing the same handful of judges at each show and get the same winners everytime. This should be interesting.

Forgot to say that the show catalogs are going out next week. Anyone showed in October will get one, but if you didn't you can call the secretary and give him your address. Check the first post for the number.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:
The building is 1/3 larger then the inside part of the livestock building. We normally have the action/raffle stuff up on the stage. We set the tables up and should be able to find a place to set some up. If nice weather they may be outside. We will see. If not this building is just below a row of the food boths/stands for the fair for the local rotaries. There are several sets of permanent picnic tables under the shelters.

With the extra space we can also spread the rows out some and have alot less double stacked. That is always nice.

Matt

Will anyone have eggs for sale here at the show? Am looking for buff orpingtons or some buff silkie eggs to hatch..... I don't think I could hatch the 2 different types at the same time, or can I?

My buff Orps aren't laying right now and I do not have any buff Silkies. Wish I could help you out.

However, yes you can hatch them at the same time. Some people do not but I hatch my bantams right along with my standard breeds every week when I hatch. Just remember those bantam eggs will hatch out on day 19 or 20 and standards go to day 21.

Right now I have Olive Eggers, Marans, Silkies, bantam Cochins and BLRW hatching out. Just another hatch at my house. They go in the brooder together for about a week then I separate the littles from the bigs if I can. Sometimes they just grow up together. I have a grow out pen with 4 mth old Marans, OE, Langshans X, bantam Cochins and Silkies. The Marans big old feet get in the way but the Silkies are pretty smart to stay out of the way of those clodhopper feet.

Surely someone will have something at the show that will interest you.

Nadine, many thanks!! we are so looking forward to the show, and hopefully meeting some BYCers. We know a few from in here, Sandy, Betsy to name a couple, along with Cheyenne and her mom, who we passed in Greensboro but never chatted. But chickens are so addictive and it's such a wonderful group of people. Plus, it gives us a chance to show off some of the apron's that DW makes and sells.....

Gavin.

We so hope to come. I have that day marked so if all goes well we will roll up about 9 am. We are still trying to find a way for the DD to get to work if we don't get back home in time to take her.

I can't wait to meet other from here and the other list we are all on. You all know me as Amy from SC, West Knoll Farm.

Back
Top Bottom