Fractured Femur Not Healing Well

Pumphrey

Songster
Sep 27, 2019
My chicken got her femur fractured from a horse kick before I adopted her. It was operated on 6 weeks ago and pins were put it. After 3 weeks, xrays revealed her bones had healed and all looked well. She has some nerve damage to her toes but was able to walk well and get around with a limp. This past week I noticed her slowing down more and tucking her leg up and wanting to sit. Sunday I brought a friend for her from her former flock. They had a brief face pecking session with my chicken established as the alpha. They sit together now or the other chicken ignorse her so no fighting. This was Sunday. Monday morning my chicken seemed worse. She is very reluctant to get up for food and water. She used to run to the door when she heard me coming now she sits there. She is still able to move but her limp is fast now and she plops down afterward. Her appetite is great, still preens and lays eggs. Took her to vet yesterday who put her on meloxicam for pain but she felt the leg and said the bones were fine. X ray machine was down so will have to bring her back for one. I love this chicken and would do anything for her. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get plans for a chicken wheelchair. I have tried searching online but only see videos of the completed wheelchair. Any help of advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

If it was only 6 weeks ago I would say she is healing well even if she is favoring it. A femur fracture to fully 100% recover time wise for both animals and humans is usually around 6 months. A femur fracture is a hard and very painful fracture to recover from. Have you considered having a splint made before you go to a wheel chair? Physical therapy and using the leg is a very important part of fracture recovery. I would be afraid that if you put her in a wheel chair she would that leg would not be getting the strengthening time is needs. https://www.etsy.com/listing/865193482/chicken-splint-complete-pack-including

I have posted before but my newly adopted chicken suffered a fractured femur before I adopted her. The vet did surgery, put pins and after 3 weeks an x-ray revealed it had healed really well. She limps but was very active. Over the last week she is just wanting to sit. Takes a few quick steps and plops down. I did adopt a friend for her from the same flock. They had a brief face pecking session with my chicken being established as the alpha. The new chicken lies by her or ignores her so no fighting. The day after I brought this chicken home my chickens symptoms seemed to worsen with her not wanting to get up at all and if she has to she will take a few really quick strides and then sit down. Took her to the vet yesterday and she is now on meloxicam (animal version of ibuprofen) We were going to get another xray on her but the machine was down so will have to wait. No idea why she is going downhill. She still preens, lays eggs and has a great appetite. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get plans to build a wheelchair for her? I emailed people who put of videos but so far nobody has gotten back to me. Any advice or help would be appreciated . I love this chicken already and would do anything to help her. Thanks.
My chicken got her femur fractured from a horse kick before I adopted her. It was operated on 6 weeks ago and pins were put it. After 3 weeks, xrays revealed her bones had healed and all looked well. She has some nerve damage to her toes but was able to walk well and get around with a limp. This past week I noticed her slowing down more and tucking her leg up and wanting to sit. Sunday I brought a friend for her from her former flock. They had a brief face pecking session with my chicken established as the alpha. They sit together now or the other chicken ignorse her so no fighting. This was Sunday. Monday morning my chicken seemed worse. She is very reluctant to get up for food and water. She used to run to the door when she heard me coming now she sits there. She is still able to move but her limp is fast now and she plops down afterward. Her appetite is great, still preens and lays eggs. Took her to vet yesterday who put her on meloxicam for pain but she felt the leg and said the bones were fine. X ray machine was down so will have to bring her back for one. I love this chicken and would do anything for her. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get plans for a chicken wheelchair. I have tried searching online but only see videos of the completed wheelchair. Any help of advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
Separate the new hen and see if the injured hen's behavior goes back to what is was.

While there may have not been any drama, your injured hen may be intimidated by the newbie.

If separation is not possible, then provide multiple feed and water stations.

If it was only 6 weeks ago I would say she is healing well even if she is favoring it. A femur fracture to fully 100% recover time wise for both animals and humans is usually around 6 months. A femur fracture is a hard and very painful fracture to recover from. Have you considered having a splint made before you go to a wheel chair? Physical therapy and using the leg is a very important part of fracture recovery. I would be afraid that if you put her in a wheel chair she would that leg would not be getting the strengthening time is needs. https://www.etsy.com/listing/865193482/chicken-splint-complete-pack-including
Thank you. That makes me feel much better. I am seeing the vet today (she is a friend and we go horseback riding together) so I will ask about a splint. That is a good idea! Hoping the meloxicam will help her feel bette.

Separate the new hen and see if the injured hen's behavior goes back to what is was.

While there may have not been any drama, your injured hen may be intimidated by the newbie.

If separation is not possible, then provide multiple feed and water stations.
Not really possible unless I put one in a crate. I would give the new one back to the owner. It was not a great situation because the chickens are still around the horse and the horse will kick if they get too close. But not a bad idea. You think it might be behavioral?

Not really possible unless I put one in a crate. I would give the new one back to the owner. It was not a great situation because the chickens are still around the horse and the horse will kick if they get too close. But not a bad idea. You think it might be behavioral?
Well, it's more of a thought. Since she was slowing down a bit, but the big change/worsening was when the other hen was introduced. It would be more of an experiment/observation to see if she makes a drastic improvement with the other one separated out.

Could be since she was beginning to slow already, the worsening with the newbie is coincidental and something else is going on.

Usually, chickens learn to avoid other animals like goats, cows, horses, but accidents can happen.

wanted to give an update. My vet started her on Baytril. Since she had pins in her leg she thought it might be osteomyelitis. She is doing so much better now. Still limping but not sitting around all day, stands up right away when I approach and walks around on her own. I think the limp is permanent. She is going to get an x-ray this week just to make sure all is healing well but things are so much better

Back
Top Bottom