Fractured ribs / fractured pelvis

Luusaa

Hatching
Jul 29, 2023
My chicken 2 years 9 months (overweight 10lbs) fell off of basically the 2nd floor. This happened on Wednesday afternoon. Long story short a dog chased her off and she got scared. Of course bc she’s overweight she didn’t land gracefully. I took her to a exotic vet where I was told she had some fractures on her ribs and pelvis. But small ones that might heal over time. She’s been open mouth breathing and has gotten 2 metacam injections so far. She’s getting one more injection tomorrow and then the doctor advised we see how she does and if she doesn’t do well without injection on Sunday we start again on Monday. She may have internal bleeding which if she does she may just pass. But she’s giving us hope she looks up at us and still eating and attempts to get up. Is there anything else we could be doing for our girl?
She’s eating, lightly drinking. She’s passing stool she attempts to stand but then over exerts herself and starts breathing heavy again. I don’t want to lose her.

My chicken 2 years 9 months (overweight 10lbs) fell off of basically the 2nd floor. This happened on Wednesday afternoon. Long story short a dog chased her off and she got scared. Of course bc she’s overweight she didn’t land gracefully. I took her to a exotic vet where I was told she had some fractures on her ribs and pelvis. But small ones that might heal over time. She’s been open mouth breathing and has gotten 2 metacam injections so far. She’s getting one more injection tomorrow and then the doctor advised we see how she does and if she doesn’t do well without injection on Sunday we start again on Monday. She may have internal bleeding which if she does she may just pass. But she’s giving us hope she looks up at us and still eating and attempts to get up. Is there anything else we could be doing for our girl?
She’s eating, lightly drinking. She’s passing stool she attempts to stand but then over exerts herself and starts breathing heavy again. I don’t want to lose her.
I have some friends who do falconry and one of my friends goshawk was on its perch and tried to go after something and broke it's hib and leg, but my friend didn't know until she was putting her hawk on the glove and saw the leg was weird. Long story short she brought the hawk to the vet and it's leg healed with in a month because of it's hollow bones! I really do hope your hen heals and is okay, I'm praying for her!:fl

@Luusaa how is your hen doing today? Sorry this happened to her. Chickens can be resilient after accidents and trauma. Hopefully her broken ribs didn’t cause any internal injuries. Is she in any type of chicken sling or do you have her positioned with towels? I have taken care of a chicken for 5 weeks who stopped being able to stay upright and balanced. I offered moistened chicken feed, and then alternated with cooked egg, tuna, cottage cheese, and moistened cat food. It can take 3-5 weeks for bones to heal. Here is a good link for examples of chickens sling chairs which are useful to get them upright, in front of food and water, and resting the legs. Take her out of the sling to sleep, and if she flips her wings to get out. Some chickens do not tolerate them or we try to escape. The whole thread below has good pictures, and posts 5. 11, and 12 have good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom